Materials Science and Theoretical Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using knowledge of particle physics and optics in the field of Materials Science, specifically in areas such as condensed matter physics, phase field theory, and density functional approaches. Examples of research and studies that combine these two fields are also mentioned.
bass_cannon
Hello everyone,

I am a student in Engineering Physics and I'm currently at the point where we have to choose in which domain we want to specialize. The undergraduate program in Engineering Physics at my university is leaning much more towards the physics part than the engineering part, so we can basically consider that I'm following a normal, theoretical physics program, which means lots of atoms, photons, and waves.

The thing is, none of the concentrations available really appeal to me (it's all about optics *sigh*), to the point that the only one remaining for me is about Materials Science. I've only followed one course so far about materials, so I don't really know what's out there for me if I chose this specialization.

I was wondering if my heavy background in particle physics and optics could prove useful in the domain of Materials Science. Are there companies in particular that seek Materials Engineer with a strong background in atomic physics? Companies that deal with nanotechnologies for instance? I'm just worried that Materials Science and Theoretical Physics are two domain that are incompatible together, to the point that I won't appeal to companies at all.

Basically, I would like to be able to use my knowledge of atomic structure and quantum physics to work on new materials and hopefully, make the world move forward. Like, use those two spheres of physics in your everyday job to create new materials. But I'm just worried that such a compromise is impossible and a proper Materials Engineer with his knowledge in metallurgy is just better suited.

So yes, tl;dr version: is it possible to work on Materials in the industry while using your knowledge in Theoretical Physics in particular (say quantum physics, atomic structure, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
bass_cannon said:
Hello everyone,

I am a student in Engineering Physics and I'm currently at the point where we have to choose in which domain we want to specialize. The undergraduate program in Engineering Physics at my university is leaning much more towards the physics part than the engineering part, so we can basically consider that I'm following a normal, theoretical physics program, which means lots of atoms, photons, and waves.

The thing is, none of the concentrations available really appeal to me (it's all about optics *sigh*), to the point that the only one remaining for me is about Materials Science. I've only followed one course so far about materials, so I don't really know what's out there for me if I chose this specialization.

I was wondering if my heavy background in particle physics and optics could prove useful in the domain of Materials Science. Are there companies in particular that seek Materials Engineer with a strong background in atomic physics? Companies that deal with nanotechnologies for instance? I'm just worried that Materials Science and Theoretical Physics are two domain that are incompatible together, to the point that I won't appeal to companies at all.

Basically, I would like to be able to use my knowledge of atomic structure and quantum physics to work on new materials and hopefully, make the world move forward. Like, use those two spheres of physics in your everyday job to create new materials. But I'm just worried that such a compromise is impossible and a proper Materials Engineer with his knowledge in metallurgy is just better suited.

So yes, tl;dr version: is it possible to work on Materials in the industry while using your knowledge in Theoretical Physics in particular (say quantum physics, atomic structure, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Yes - in condensed matter physics and phase field theory.

One example - http://van-der-waals.pc.uni-koeln.de/persons/rr/DPG-Dresden-09.pdf

I was involved in a discussion yesterday concerning research on corrosion and material (alloy) behavior based on PFT.

Another example - http://www.nada.kth.se/~szepessy/md_pde-1.pdf
http://www.nada.kth.se/~szepessy/forskn-en.html

and another - http://www.brunel.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/279484/Granasy-aip_last-2012.pdf

and - Nucleation of Lennard‐Jones fluids: A density functional approach
http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v105/i15/p6517_s1?isAuthorized=no
http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v105/i15/p6517_s1?coden=JCPSA6&volume=105&issue=15&page=6517&seqno=1&view=citings

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is materials science?

Materials science is a field of science that focuses on the study of the properties, structure, and design of materials. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and manipulate materials at a microscopic level.

2. How does materials science relate to theoretical physics?

Materials science and theoretical physics are closely related because they both involve the study of matter and its properties. Theoretical physics provides the fundamental theories and laws that govern the behavior of matter, while materials science applies these theories to understand and develop new materials with specific properties.

3. What are some applications of materials science and theoretical physics?

Materials science and theoretical physics have a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials for various industries such as electronics, energy, and healthcare. They also play a crucial role in understanding and improving existing technologies, such as semiconductors, superconductors, and nanotechnology.

4. What are the current challenges in materials science and theoretical physics?

Some of the current challenges in materials science and theoretical physics include developing materials with specific properties for emerging technologies, understanding the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, and finding ways to make materials more sustainable and environmentally friendly.

5. How does materials science contribute to advancements in technology?

Materials science plays a vital role in technological advancements by providing new materials with unique properties that can be used in various applications. For example, the development of new materials for electronics has led to smaller, faster, and more efficient devices. Additionally, materials science helps to improve existing technologies by providing a better understanding of the materials used in them and finding ways to make them more durable and cost-effective.