Point where magnetic field cancels between two current carrying wires.

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the net magnetic field at a certain point due to two current-carrying wires. The first part (a) discusses the null point where the net magnetic field is equal to zero, and the calculation of the perpendicular distance ρ. The second part (b) explores the adjustment needed in the equation for the net magnetic field when a second wire is introduced and the fields from both wires are pointing into the page. The resulting equation yields a value of ρ = 2d.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

Problem statement along with relevant diagram attached with picture below.

Homework Equations

The Biot-Savart Law for a long current carrying wire.
B = (μ)(I)/2(pi)(d)
Where d is the perpendicular distance between the wire and the point at which the field is being calculated. μ is the permeability of free space.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Point at which field is null:
Net magnetic field = 0.
Thus, the sum of the magnetic fields at a certain point is 0. (One will point into the page and one will point out of the page)
Thus:
Bnet = 0 ⇔ (μ)(I1)/2(pi)(ρ) = (μ)(I1/2)/2(pi)(d - ρ)
Calculate ρ. I think it works out to be 2d/3.
Could someone tell me if this is correct?
Also, for part (b) what adjustment should be made? Assuming I did (a) correctly. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1368830118.223176.jpg

DAPOS said:
Bnet = 0 ⇔ (μ)(I1)/2(pi)(ρ) = (μ)(I1/2)/2(pi)(d - ρ)
Calculate ρ. I think it works out to be 2d/3.
Sounds right.
Also, for part (b) what adjustment should be made?
What change do you think it makes to the field from I2?

Will both fields be pointing out of the page (in the positive k) in the region of 0-d?

Sorry! I meant into the page. In the negative k.

DAPOS said:
Sorry! I meant into the page. In the negative k.

Yes, but I meant, what difference does it make to the equation?

Well. instead of having:
(I)(μ)/(2)(pi)(ρ) - (I/2)(μ)/(2)(pi)(d - ρ) = 0

We'll now have:
(I)(μ)/(2)(pi)(ρ) + (I/2)(μ)/(2)(pi)(d - ρ) = 0
I think the answer works out to be ρ = 2d.

DAPOS said:
Well. instead of having:
(I)(μ)/(2)(pi)(ρ) - (I/2)(μ)/(2)(pi)(d - ρ) = 0

We'll now have:
(I)(μ)/(2)(pi)(ρ) + (I/2)(μ)/(2)(pi)(d - ρ) = 0
I think the answer works out to be ρ = 2d.
Looks right.

1. What is the point where the magnetic field cancels between two current carrying wires?

The point where the magnetic field cancels between two current carrying wires is called the neutral point. It is the point where the magnetic fields produced by the two wires cancel each other out, resulting in no net magnetic field.

2. How is the neutral point determined?

The neutral point can be determined by using the right hand rule. Place your right hand with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current in one wire and your fingers pointing in the direction of the current in the other wire. The point where your fingers meet is the neutral point.

3. Why is the neutral point important?

The neutral point is important because it is a point of magnetic field cancellation, which can be useful in applications such as magnetic levitation and reducing interference in electronic devices.

4. Can the neutral point be shifted?

Yes, the neutral point can be shifted by changing the distance between the two wires or by changing the currents flowing through the wires. The closer the wires are to each other, the closer the neutral point will be to the wires.

5. Is the neutral point always in the middle between the two wires?

No, the neutral point is not always in the middle between the two wires. It depends on the distance between the wires and the currents flowing through them. The neutral point can be shifted closer to one wire if the current in that wire is increased or if the distance between the wires is decreased.