How can XP users share music files over a LAN connection?

• Thread starter Problem+Solve=Reason
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to share music files over a LAN connection between two XP Home computers. Suggestions include using a USB cable, enabling file sharing, and connecting to shared folders. There is also a mention of using XP's remote desktop feature, but it is deemed unnecessary. The conversation also touches on the topic of master and slave devices, but it is unclear what this refers to. Overall, the main solution proposed is to enable file sharing and connect to shared folders.
Problem+Solve=Reason
How can I share some simple music files over my LAN connection. Both computers are running XP home. Thanks...

Computer science news on Phys.org
well if theyre semi close together you can use a USB cable, or if you have a highspeed internet you can use XPs remote desktop feature...

TsunamiJoe,

What the heck are you talking about? You -cannot- use a USB cable, because USB does not support peer-to-peer networking. You can have only one host on a USB network. Besides, the machines are already connected together via Ethernet!

And why involve high-speed internet?

All you need to do is:

1) enable filesharing on both PCs
2) share a folder on one (or both)
3) connect to one PC's shares with the other.

Problem, let me know if you don't know how to do any of these steps, and I will explain them in more detail.

- Warren

you can send files to another computer through a usb cable, its how i transferred my old computers data to my new one...and that sounds as though all he wants to do...

and i took it as though he was going to make a sort of LAN connection not that he already had one

ONe thing, once I make that file can I just search for it (using XP's search) on the computer that I did NOT make the file on? And hows about that mater slave thing, does that pertain to anything at all? Thanks guys.

P.S.- Thanks for the suggestion however the computers are too far apart and I already have LAN hooked up.

And hows about that mater slave thing

i don't know what you mean by mater slave...

What is a LAN?

A LAN (Local Area Network) is a network of computers and devices that are connected to each other in a small geographical area, such as a home, office, or school. This allows for the sharing of resources and information between the connected devices.

How do I share files on a LAN with Windows XP?

To share files on a LAN with Windows XP, you will need to first ensure that all the devices are connected to the same network. Then, you can enable file and printer sharing on each device by going to the Control Panel, selecting "Network and Internet Connections", and then "Network Connections". Right-click on the network connection you want to share files from and select "Properties". Under the "Sharing" tab, check the box for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". You can then choose which folders you want to share by right-clicking on them and selecting "Sharing and Security".

Can I share files between different versions of Windows on a LAN?

Yes, it is possible to share files between different versions of Windows on a LAN. However, there may be some compatibility issues depending on the versions of Windows being used. It is recommended to ensure that all devices are using the same file sharing protocols, such as SMB (Server Message Block), to avoid any potential issues.

How do I access shared files on a LAN with Windows XP?

To access shared files on a LAN with Windows XP, you will need to open the "My Network Places" folder on your computer. This can typically be found on the desktop or in the Start menu. From there, you can browse the network to find the shared folders and files. You may be prompted to enter a username and password if the shared files are password-protected.

Are there any security risks when sharing files on a LAN with Windows XP?

There can be some security risks when sharing files on a LAN with Windows XP, especially if the network is not properly secured. It is recommended to use a firewall and password-protect any shared files to prevent unauthorized access. It is also important to regularly update your antivirus software to protect against any potential threats.