HELP I Can't Figure Out These Number Patterns

In summary: I was trying to figure out what the next row or column was. I was getting really close, then I got a hint and figured it out.In summary, the image has a pattern of numbers that repeat, but the numbers are not regularly repeated. Someone provides a hint to help someone figure out the pattern, but ultimately the person figures it out on their own.
Drew888
I've been trying to figure out this number pattern in the image below...Can anyone help please? My head is spinning :rofl:

numbers.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no question posed.

Can we have some context to the puzzle? (Assuming it *is* a puzzle, which I can only do because you say so.)

eg. are we to attempt to determine what the next row is? what the next column is?

I have no clue myself... :rofl:

The only thing I got with it was...

Figure it out. This makes...

Well, for one thing the columns appear to form a repeating pattern going left to right.

I see several patterns but they turn out to not be the answer...

The only answer I want to submit now is...

This makes NO SENSE :rofl:

I'm thinking they want the next row...Thanks for trying...I appreciate it :smile:

Let's see...
- 50 numbers total
- range from 2 to 26. (or 1 to 25 +1 ?)
- only 14 numbers used 2,6-8,12-16,18-19,22,25-26
- most occurences: 8 (9x)
- fewest occurences 25 (1x)
- 11 numbers not used: 3-5,9-11,17,20-21,23,24

Histogram:
2 **
6 **
7 ******
8 *********
12 ******
13 ***
14 **
15 ***
16 **
18 **
19 **
22 *******
25 *
26 ***

Several pairs of numbers add up to 26:
7:19, 18:8, 26 to name a few. May be a coincidence that the biggest number is 26.

I'm trying to see if they're coords on a grid of some sort.

Thanks for that Dave...I don't want you to waste too much time on this...I'll try and see if I can figure something out with what you supplied above.

Thanks again :smile:

Definitely a repeating pattern, but not regularly repeating.

if you read by columns you get:
Code:
 7 16 12  2  8 19 22 15 13 22 18  8  6 12
 7  8 26  7  8 12 14 25 22 22 14 26  8 15 13  22
and again
 7 16 12  2  8 19 22 15 13 22 18  8  6 12
 7  8 26  7  8 12

Drew888 said:
Thanks for that Dave...I don't want you to waste too much time on this...I'll try and see if I can figure something out with what you supplied above.

Thanks again :smile:

What? I thought it was a challenge! :cry:

DaveC426913 said:
What? I thought it was a challenge! :cry:
I just don't want you to waste time if you don't want to that's all :rofl:

The four columns on the right are the same as the four columns on the left with the two center columns being different...So I'm assuming that pattern will continue...

A - B - C - D - ? - ? - A - B - C - D

unless they want the next column...
?
?
?
?

I've even been trying to look in the background for hints :rofl:

I'm almost ready to give up :rofl:

Again, can you supply any context? Is this an assignment? What is the question asking for? Is it simply asking what the pattern is? Wha the next number is?

No question was given...

Just...

Figure it out. This Makes...

For a second I thought maybe the numbers are letters because like you said the highest is 26...

But this could go in any direction and I think I'm going to quit...I'll post the answer when I get it...Thanks for trying :)

Drew888 said:
For a second I thought maybe the numbers are letters because like you said the highest is 26...

That is so obvious in retrospect that I'm kicking myself for not noticing.

But a quick perusal of the histogram shows that 4 out of 5 vowels have zero instances (a=1,e=5,i=9,u=21). Only o is there (and y).

Maybe it's transposed. Maybe just by one. Or maybe e=8 (the most common letter = the most common number)

I feel so silly now :rofl:

I finally figured it out if you want the answer Dave...You were on the right track...Thanks for your help :smile:

I'll white it out below if there's anyone that wants to figure it out on their own...

It's a reversed alphabet code..ie: 1=Z 2=y...25=B 26=A

The last four columns that are repeated are ignored and you get...

"THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME"

Damn. I shouldn't have peaked. I was really hooked.

And yeah, I think I would have gotten it. I transposed the highest freq of numbers (9 of 8) to the most common letter (e). If I had just taken the next step, the second most common freq is (8 of 22).

That was a good one. And congrats!

Got any more?

Hey, you fibbed - you knew all along. You were giving hints even while you were saying you didn't know.

DaveC426913 said:
Hey, you fibbed - you knew all along. You were giving hints even while you were saying you didn't know.
I honestly didn't know the answer. It's just coincidence that I said all I want to answer is "This Makes No Sense". The puzzle was sent with the words: "Figure it out. This makes..."

But I found out that I was lied to. This is actually a puzzle from an online game that had prize money for whoever finished it. The person was stuck on that level and was using people to figure it out for them :cry:

I feel betrayed :cry:

This is the game...
http://www.phase0.host-dot.com/index.htm

Hmmm...Why can't I edit my first post.

1. What are number patterns?

Number patterns are sequences of numbers that follow a specific rule or pattern. These patterns can be found in various mathematical concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is it important to be able to figure out number patterns?

Understanding number patterns can help improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking. It also helps in various areas of life, such as budgeting, predicting trends, and analyzing data.

3. How do I identify and solve number patterns?

To identify a number pattern, look for a repeating sequence or rule in the numbers. Once identified, use the rule to predict the next numbers in the pattern. To solve more complex patterns, you may need to use algebraic equations or create a table or graph to help visualize the pattern.

4. What are some tips for figuring out number patterns?

Some tips for figuring out number patterns include looking for patterns in different mathematical operations, starting with simpler patterns, and using manipulatives or visual aids to help visualize the pattern.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to figure out a number pattern?

If you are still struggling to figure out a number pattern, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or fellow student. You can also try breaking down the pattern into smaller parts or using different strategies to approach the problem.