AP Physics FORCES question confused

In summary, the minimum number of revolutions per minute necessary for the riders to be held up by friction is calculated by equating the friction force to the weight of the person and solving for the required angular velocity.
r3dxP
7. A block of mass m is at rest on a plane inclined at an angle of 30o with the horizontal as shown below. Which of the following statements about the force of static friction is necessarily true??A. s greater than/equal to g?B. s equal to tan ?C. s less than/equal to tan ?D. s greater than/equal to tan
i don't know how to do this.. i think the static friction is equal to tan(angle) , so would it be B ?

i tried to do #3, but not sure if i did it right, and i have no idea how to do #4, pls help~
3. In the figure below, the block slides down the plane. What are
A. the magnitude of the blocks acceleration

g*sin(30degrees) = 4.9 m/s^2

B. the magnitude of the normal force on the block from the inclined surface?

Fn = ?
Fn = m*a*cos(degrees) = m*g*cos(30degrees) = m * 8.5m/s^2
thus, a = 8.5 m/s^2

4. In the figure below, a 60.0 N force F, directed upward, is applied to the block.
A. What are the magnitude and direction of the blocks acceleration?

B. What is the magnitude of the normal force on the block from the inclined surface?
C. What must the magnitude of the applied force be if the block is to be stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
kind of hard to help w/o the figures.

ok this question can be solved by drawing it out rather than looking at a drawn diagram..
12. In an amusement park ride, riders stand with their backs against the wall of a spinning vertical cylinder. The floor falls away and the riders are held up by friction. If the radius of the cylinder is 4 m, find the minimum number of revolutions per minute necessary when the coefficient of static friction between a rider and the wall is 0.4??

The normal reaction of the wall provides required centripetal force [tex] m \omega^2 R [/tex] hence the upward friction force balancing the weight of the person hence [tex] \mu m \omega^2 R = mg [/tex] will give required angular velocity [tex] \omega [/tex].

1. What is the definition of force in AP Physics?

Force is defined as a push or pull that can change the motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I calculate net force in AP Physics?

To calculate net force, you must add up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are in the same direction, you can simply add the magnitudes. If the forces are in opposite directions, you must subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion in AP Physics?

Newton's First Law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does mass affect force in AP Physics?

According to Newton's Second Law, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

5. How do I calculate the force of gravity in AP Physics?

The force of gravity can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.