Research Proposal/Reason for choosing the course

In summary, the individual is applying to Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, and Imperial for PhDs in Quantum Computing, with a focus on experimental research using Ion Traps. They are struggling with how to answer the research proposal and course choice questions on the application forms. Their main reason for choosing this field is their interest in it and the belief that quantum computers will be necessary in the future. They are unsure of what the admissions committees are looking for. Other individuals suggest showing enthusiasm and the individual plans to try their best to answer the questions, despite being an undergraduate student.
Baggio
Hi I'm applying to Cambridge,Oxford,UCL and Imperial for PhDs in Quantum Computing mostly experimental research into Ion Traps. These forms ask for Research proposals or reasons for choosing the course. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can answer this? My main reason for choosing it is that I find it interesting, I believe it will be inevitable that we'll need quantum computers once people have strained silicon as much as they can and I believe ion traps are the best way of going about it. But I'm not sure what they're looking for.

any help would be greatly appreciated

:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that saying what you just said would be fine. Show that you have enthusiasm...etc...

ok thanks! I'm trying to go strainght from undergrad studies to postgrad, I would have thought asking an undergrad such a specific question was asking a bit too much but I'll just try and put something down on paper.

1. What is a research proposal and why is it important?

A research proposal is a document that outlines the objectives, methods, and potential outcomes of a research project. It is important because it serves as a roadmap for the research and helps to justify the need for the study.

2. How do I choose a research topic for my proposal?

Choosing a research topic depends on your interests, expertise, and the availability of resources. It is important to select a topic that is relevant, feasible, and adds value to the existing body of knowledge.

3. What should be included in a research proposal?

A research proposal typically includes an introduction, literature review, research objectives, methodology, expected outcomes, and a timeline. It may also include a budget, ethical considerations, and potential limitations.

4. Why did you choose this particular course for your research?

I chose this course because it aligns with my research interests and goals. It provides the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge to conduct high-quality research in my field of study.

5. How do I write an effective research proposal?

An effective research proposal should be clear, concise, and well-structured. It should demonstrate a thorough understanding of the research topic and use appropriate language and terminology. It is also important to follow the guidelines and requirements set by the institution or funding agency.