Exploring Engineering: A Journey from Biology to Industrial Engineering

In summary, an industrial engineering major is not for someone who is not interested in engineering. It is very dry and boring with little physics or science involved. If you are more of the management type of engineer, then it might be for you.
maryelsol
I'm currently majoring in biological sciences. Throughout high school I was not interested in engineering because of a misconception. Now that I looked into industrial engineering I feel that it strongly describes my interests and passions. Although I planned to go to med school, but now I'm not too sure. Engineering might be for me, but I also like my current major.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Industrial Engineering?? It sucks.

things till now-manufacturing machines, manufacturing processes, production system management, science of engineering manufacturing I & II

things still to come next semester-production planning, inventory control, work study, plant layout, quality control

Dammit, I am a mechanical engineering student, & still stupid subject is injected in our course.

ank_gl said:
Industrial Engineering?? It sucks.

I can agree with that. I've taken an industrial related engineering course and it was not fun. Very dry and boring with little physics or science involved. If your more of the management and not of the science type of engineering then it might be for you.

A good friend of mine was an industrial engineer. She ended up going back to school 10 years later to an EE degree so she would be "more in the thick" of things. She did have interesting stories relating to her IE work (strictly she was an "ISE" Industrial Systems Engineer - that's what the school called the IE degree - same same).

Ironically I was an EE and rose high enough to need much of that stuff that IEs learn. I was designing marketing, sales and support processes for an engineering company, did project analysis and approval decision making, and eventually used the same information and knowledge an IE gets/has to analyze how our customers used our products in their manufacturing and this directed R&D product development priorities and directions.

I didn't go back and get an IE degree but instead got an MBA with emphasis on finance, organizational behavior, manufacturing and entrepreneurship (I probably overdid that part but I had a plan for it and it's worked out as planned).

I'd say everything that IEs do is very useful but it's useful for any specialty of engineering. It might be dicey to make it a stand-alone career choice unless you really get off on the kind of things it focuses on. That's pretty much true for any major.

I am a mechanical engineer and took a graduate level IE course recently... I don't think I really learned anything worthwhile. Being taught how to estimate assembly times and design for xxxx is necessary, but pretty boring. Not to mention everything I learned was based purely on estimation...it takes 1 second to reach for this part, 3 seconds to do this, use this constant for this, etc. As far as cirriculum, I would say IE is pretty easy but if you want to be in the thick of things, either go ME, EE, or ChE

You're worried about the course load and social time for an industrial engineering major, but you were planning on going to med school? :eek:

1. What is the main focus of "Exploring Engineering: A Journey from Biology to Industrial Engineering"?

The main focus of this book is to explore the intersection between biology and industrial engineering, and how these two fields can work together to solve complex problems in various industries.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is targeted towards students and professionals interested in both biology and engineering, as well as anyone looking to gain a deeper understanding of the connections between these two fields.

3. What topics are covered in this book?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including the principles of biology and industrial engineering, the use of technology and data analysis in these fields, and case studies of successful applications of these principles in real-world scenarios.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in engineering and biology?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in both engineering and biology. The authors provide clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts and principles discussed in the book.

5. How can reading this book benefit someone who is already familiar with engineering and biology?

For those already familiar with engineering and biology, this book offers a unique perspective on the connections between these two fields and how they can be applied together to solve complex problems. It also provides insights and case studies from experts in the field, which can help broaden one's understanding and knowledge in these areas.