Quantum mechanical coupling/excitation

In summary, the Wikipedia article on quantum coupling explains that it involves the interaction between two or multiple quantum oscillators, similar to classical coupling in waves and optics. However, it also applies to interactions between particles, such as a photon and an electron, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy. To learn more about this type of absorption coupling, Hyperphysics and a specific research paper are recommended resources.
pbeierle
the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_coupling suggests a scenario where you have two or multiple quantum oscillators (a lattice of particles maybe or whatever) and coupling describes the interaction at a quantum level (analogous to the classical coupling that is taught in an introductory waves+optics class). however, does this apply still to what they refer to coupling being an interaction between two particles, such as a photon and an electron (i.e. the "absorption" of the photon) increasing it's kinetic energy? if not, where can i find information on this kind of "absorption" type coupling? (i'm an senior undergrad, so whatever level of complication is fine)

Physics news on Phys.org
pbeierle said:
the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_coupling suggests a scenario where you have two or multiple quantum oscillators (a lattice of particles maybe or whatever) and coupling describes the interaction at a quantum level (analogous to the classical coupling that is taught in an introductory waves+optics class). however, does this apply still to what they refer to coupling being an interaction between two particles, such as a photon and an electron (i.e. the "absorption" of the photon) increasing it's kinetic energy? if not, where can i find information on this kind of "absorption" type coupling? (i'm an senior undergrad, so whatever level of complication is fine)

Are you struggling with the notion of absorbers and emitters? If so, Hyperphysics in general is pretty good. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/hframe.html

This is more, and I think closer to what you're asking, but it's just one paper: http://arxiv.org/ftp/cond-mat/papers/0606/0606184.pdf

yes, this is very close to what I was referring to, thanks :)

1. What is quantum mechanical coupling/excitation?

Quantum mechanical coupling/excitation refers to the phenomenon in which two or more quantum systems interact and influence each other's behavior. This can result in the transfer of energy, information, or entanglement between the systems.

2. What are some examples of quantum mechanical coupling/excitation?

One example is the coupling of two atoms in a molecule, where the electrons of each atom interact and influence the overall energy and stability of the molecule. Another example is the excitation of an electron in an atom by absorbing a photon of light, resulting in an altered energy state of the electron.

3. How is quantum mechanical coupling/excitation different from classical coupling?

In classical systems, objects are typically described as separate and distinct entities, whereas in quantum mechanics, systems can exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can be in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for the possibility of coupling and excitation between quantum systems that would not be possible in classical systems.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum mechanical coupling/excitation?

Quantum mechanical coupling/excitation has many potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and manipulating the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How is quantum mechanical coupling/excitation studied and measured?

Quantum mechanical coupling/excitation is studied and measured through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, which can measure the energy states and interactions of quantum systems. Quantum simulators and experiments using trapped ions, superconducting circuits, and other systems can also be used to study and manipulate quantum coupling and excitation.