Basis of subspace (and combinations of them)

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what the symbols for U and upside down U mean.Can you please explain what they mean?
SoapyIllusion

Homework Statement

We are given the following subspaces

U := {x E R3: x1 + 2*x2 - x3 = 0}
and
V := {x E R3: x1 - 2*x2 - 2*x3 = 0}

And we need to find a basis for
(i) U
(ii) V
(iii) U n V (not an "n" but a symbol that looks like an upside-down U)
(iv) span(U u V) (not a "u" but a symbol that looks like a U)

2. The attempt at a solution

Because x is a subspace of R3 in both V and U, it seemed that for (i) and (ii) the trivial basis would simply be e1 = [1,0,0] e2 = [0,1,0] and e3 [0,0,1]

I also do not know what the U and upside-down U symbols mean, but someone guessed that "n" meant where they overlap and "u" meant the combination of both subspacesThe answers I found seem to trivial, am I missing something very obvious, and could anyone give me any suggestions to lead me in the right direction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SoapyIllusion said:

Homework Statement

and

(i) U
(ii) V

Because x is a subspace of R3 in both V and U, it seemed that for (i) and (ii) the trivial basis would simply be e1 = [1,0,0] e2 = [0,1,0] and e3 [0,0,1]
The basis vectors must reside within the vector space you're talking about. None of those vectors is in U or V, so they can't be part of a basis for either subspace.
I also do not know what the U and upside-down U symbols mean, but someone guessed that "n" meant where they overlap and "u" meant the combination of both subspaces
That's correct. The set U ∩ V is called the intersection of U and V. It's the collection of vectors common to both U and V. The set U ∪ V is called the union of U and V. It's the collection of vectors in U, V, or both sets.
The answers I found seem to trivial, am I missing something very obvious, and could anyone give me any suggestions to lead me in the right direction

You need to use the relations given in the definition of these sets to find a basis. Consider this similar example. Suppose I'm given the set
[tex]
S = \{(x_1, x_2) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x_1 = x_2\}
[/tex]

I set the common value of [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] to the variable [itex] t [/itex] and I get

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
x_1 \\
x_2
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{pmatrix}
t \\
t
\end{pmatrix}=
t
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Thus the vector (1,1) forms a basis for my subspace S. Can you do something similar for your subspaces?

SoapyIllusion said:

Homework Statement

and

(i) U
(ii) V

I also do not know what the U and upside-down U symbols mean, but someone guessed that "n" meant where they overlap and "u" meant the combination of both subspacesThe answers I found seem to trivial, am I missing something very obvious, and could anyone give me any suggestions to lead me in the right direction

So, if x is in U then x_1 + 2 x_2 = x_3.
Ok, first, ask yourself what a basis is. Now, if e1,e2 and e3 formed a basis of U, then this would imply that the vector (1,1,1) is in U. However, 1+2*2-1=4, not 0. Thus, e1,e2,e3 do not form a basis.

So, I'm going to help you out for (i) and then try to figure it out for the rest.

(a,0,a) and (0,b,2b) form a basis for this subspace (where a and b are fixed real numbers). Why is this a basis? Well, any linear combination of these two vectors: A(a,0,a) + B(0,b,2b) = (a,b,A a + 2B b) is clearly in U. Also, if x is in U, it can be written as a linear combination of (a,0,a) and (0,b,2b). Furthermore, the two vectors are clearly independent. So, do you see how it goes? And you are correct the upside down U means intersection, that is, where they overlap, and you were also right about the U.

Last edited:

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three properties: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. In other words, any combination of vectors within the subspace will also result in a vector within the subspace.

How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above. This means that the set must contain the zero vector, and any linear combination of vectors within the set must also result in a vector that is also within the set.

What is a basis of a subspace?

A basis of a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector within the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of basis vectors it contains. This is also equivalent to the number of vectors needed to span the subspace.

How are subspaces related to linear combinations?

Subspaces are closely related to linear combinations because a subspace is essentially a set of vectors that can be combined in various ways to create other vectors within the same subspace. Essentially, subspaces are created through linear combinations of vectors.