How Does a Longer Crumple Zone Affect Impact Duration and Passenger Safety?

• Thread starter milkyway11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, a 1980 kg car moving at 13 m/s is brought to a stop in 2 seconds when it collides with a wall. A new model of this car with a longer crumple zone experiences a 3217.5 N force upon impact. By calculating the new model's acceleration and using kinematics, the period of impact is found to be 8 seconds. This results in a percentage increase in the period of impact compared to the original model. The impulse on the car and its passengers remains unchanged in this scenario.
milkyway11
question states: a 1980 kg car moving at 13 m/s is brought to a stop in 2 seconds when it collides with a wall. if a new model of this car has a longer crumple zone, the passengers experience a 3217.5 N force upon impact. by what percentage has the period of impact been increased? has the impulse on the car and its passengers changed.

my attempt at this problem is to find the new model's acceleration by use F=ma, then use the kinematics Vf=Vo+at to find the period to be 8 sec. Then I can calculate the percentage by dividing the difference with the original period. But this somehow seemed to easy and I am not sure if it's right. Also, I would assume the impulse doesn't change since P=mv, but I am not sure on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi milkyway11! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, your method looks fine (and yes, the impulse doesn't change) :smile:

Thank you!

tiny-tim said:
hi milkyway11! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes, your method looks fine (and yes, the impulse doesn't change) :smile:

What is momentum and how is it defined?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the greater the force on an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. This means that in any interaction between objects, the total momentum before and after the interaction must be the same.

How is momentum different from kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are both measures of an object's motion, but they are not the same. Momentum takes into account both an object's mass and its velocity, while kinetic energy only considers an object's mass and speed. Additionally, momentum is a vector quantity, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity.

How is momentum calculated?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass (in kg) by its velocity (in m/s). The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.