Converting Position Vector vs Time to Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the cartesian equation for the path of the particle is y = 1 - 2x^2, where x = sin(t) and y = cos(2t). The double-angle formula for cosine was used to solve for y in terms of x, and the substitution of x = sin(t) was made to obtain the final equation.
e to the i pi
1. The position vector of a particle at time t ≥ 0 is given by r = sin(t)*i + cos(2t)*j. Find the cartesian equation for the path of the particle.

2. I was told that the answer is:
y = 1 - 2x^2
But I don't know how to obtain that solution.

3. r = sin(t)*i + cos(2t)*j
At first I thought I would merely plug in the values:
x = i, y = j and √(x^2 + y^2) = r, but that wasn't working out:
√(x^2 + y^2) = x sin(t) + y cos(2t)
x^2 + y^2 = x^2(sin(t))^2 + 2xysin(t)cos(2t) + y^2(cos(2t))^2
Solve with CAS Calculator:
t = -pi/2
Substitute that back in:
x^2 + y^2 = x^2(-1)^2 + 2xy(-1)(0) + y^2(-1)^2
x^2 + y^2 = x^2 + y^2
0 = 0
Now I am lost. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the "double-angle formula" for cosine -- there are three forms of it, but one of the expressions for y = cos(2t) will have a simple connection to x = sin t in the vector equation for r .

(The double-angle formulas for sine and cosine from trigonometry are ones that it are useful to know. They see a lot of application...)

cos(2t) = 1 - 2(sin(t))^2
So r = sin(t)*i + (1 - 2(sin(t))^2)*j
But I'm still confused because I don't know how to get rid of the i's and j's...
Wait I think I get it:
x = sin(t)
y = 1 - 2(sin(t))^2
y = 1 - 2x^2
Is that right?

Let x = sin (t). What is y in terms of x?

Thanks a lot for your help, dynamicsolo and SteamKing. Now I know how to solve these types of problems for the future.
I let x = the value that is being multiplied by i and y = the value that is being multiplied by j and then ignore the r.
Then I express y in terms of the value being multiplied by i and then make the substitution to get y in terms of x.
Thank you once again!

e to the i pi said:
Wait I think I get it:
x = sin(t)
y = 1 - 2(sin(t))^2
y = 1 - 2x^2
Is that right?

Yes. You don't have to "get rid of" the i and j: they are just the unit vectors connected with the x- and y-components of the vector equation. We would write

r(t) = x(t) i + y(t) j = sin(t) i + cos(2t) j .

You are just being asked to look for the equation relating y(t) to x(t) .

What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of an object in space. It includes both magnitude (distance) and direction, and is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the object's location.

What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a set of coordinates used to locate a point in a two- or three-dimensional space. They consist of an x-coordinate (horizontal), a y-coordinate (vertical), and sometimes a z-coordinate (depth).

Why do we need to convert position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates?

Converting position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates allows us to plot the motion of an object in a more familiar and easily understandable way. It also allows us to analyze the object's position and movement in a more precise and quantitative manner.

How do you convert position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formula: x = x0 + v0t + ½at^2, where x is the final x-coordinate, x0 is the initial x-coordinate, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can use the same formula for the y and z coordinates if needed.

What are some common applications of converting position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates?

Converting position vector vs time to Cartesian coordinates is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is useful for analyzing the motion of objects, predicting their future positions, and understanding their trajectories. It is also essential for creating maps and GPS systems.