Nondimensional substitutions for Insect Outbreak Model

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quantities
In summary, the DE is Insect Outbreak Model: Spruce Budworn with Ludwig's predation model. The substitution that is given is uBr\left(1-\frac{u}{q}\right)-\frac{A^3\tau N^2}{t(u+A^2N^2}).
Dustinsfl
The DE is Insect Outbreak Model: Spruce Budworn with Ludwig's predation model

[tex]\frac{dN}{dt}=r_BN\left(1-\frac{N}{K_B}\right)-\frac{BN^2}{A^2+N^2}[/tex]

[itex]r_B[/itex] is the linear birth rate

[itex]K_B[/itex] is the carrying capacity

The last term is predation

[itex]A[/itex] is the threshold where predation is switched on

[itex]A,K_B,N,r_B[/itex] has the dimension [itex](\text{time})^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]B[/itex] has the dimension [itex]N(\text{time})^{-1}[/itex]

Nondimensional quantities

[tex]u=\frac{N}{A}, \ r=\frac{Ar_B}{B}, \ q=\frac{K_B}{A}, \ \tau=\frac{Bt}{A}[/tex]

How were this substitutions decided on?

I see that u,q is nondimensional since they cancel, but r and tau I don't get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that "B has dimension N(time)-1". Since you have said that N has dimensions of (time)-1 itself, do you mean that B has dimensions of (time)-2? If so then Bt has dimensions of (time)-1, the same as A and so Bt/A is dimensionless. Also, both A and rB have dimensions of (time)-1 so their product has dimension (time)-2, canceling the dimensions of B.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that "B has dimension N(time)-1". Since you have said that N has dimensions of (time)-1 itself, do you mean that B has dimensions of (time)-2? If so then Bt has dimensions of (time)-1, the same as A and so Bt/A is dimensionless. Also, both A and rB have dimensions of (time)-1 so their product has dimension (time)-2, canceling the dimensions of B.

That is probably right. I was just listing it how the book wrote it.

How were this substitutions figured out though?

Additionally, when I make the substitution, I should obtain:

[tex]\frac{du}{dt}=ru\left(1-\frac{u}{q}\right)-\frac{u^2}{1+u^2}[/tex]

From the substitution, I actually obtain:

[tex]uBr\left(1-\frac{u}{q}\right)-\frac{A^3\tau N^2}{t(u+A^2N^2}[/tex]

How can I manipulate that into the correct answer?

Or is there a mistake somewhere?

1. What are nondimensional quantities?

Nondimensional quantities are numerical values that represent the ratios of two physical quantities, with no units attached. They are used in scientific calculations to simplify equations and make them more generalizable.

2. Why are nondimensional quantities important in science?

Nondimensional quantities are important because they allow scientists to compare and analyze physical phenomena without being influenced by units of measurement. This allows for easier understanding and comparison of different systems.

3. How are nondimensional quantities calculated?

Nondimensional quantities are calculated by dividing a physical quantity by a reference quantity with the same dimensions. This reference quantity is often chosen to be a characteristic or maximum value of the system being studied.

4. What are some common examples of nondimensional quantities?

Some common examples of nondimensional quantities include the Reynolds number, Mach number, and Froude number in fluid dynamics, as well as the Bond number in surface tension. Other examples can be found in various fields of science, such as the Péclet number in heat transfer and the Weber number in particle dynamics.

5. What is the significance of nondimensional quantities in experimental design?

Nondimensional quantities are important in experimental design because they allow for the scaling of experiments and the comparison of results across different scales. This can save time and resources while still providing valuable insights into the behavior of a system.