Using Mathematica for 4 vectors and etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around using Mathematica to simplify 4 vector/Lorentz transformations through matrices and other operations. The individual had just started learning about special relativity and was looking for guidance on how to use Mathematica for this purpose. They were recommended to consult Trott's book, but it did not address their specific issue and was above their level. They had also searched for tutorials and notes online but were still struggling to understand how to use Mathematica for this task. A notebook was shared as a reference and found to be helpful.
drmcninja
I just got mathematica and I wanted to use it to simplify 4 vector/ Lorentz transformations by using matrices etc. I was wondering how I would go about doing this. I just started special relativity in my first semester Quantum Mechanics/S.R. class for reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but the book did not address my issue (not to mention it was over my level). I was just introduced to the transforms and I was wondering how I would go about doing this. For example variable declarations, matrix operations, basic lorentz transforms, etc. I have looked around and went through tutorials but I couldn't put it together.

You can check these notes:

http://inside.mines.edu/~jamcneil/CourseInformation/phgn300/McNeil/Lectures/SpaceTime3/MathematicaIntro/Introduction.html

Try to understand what is going on. Then you have to decide what problem you want to solve, what drawing you want to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a notebook that I use. It has some definitions and several random examples. I had to delete some sections and some output to make it smaller.

Attachments

• lorentztransform.nb
    198.6 KB · Views: 675
Arkajad, thanks for the link, that one was very useful.

Dalespam, I really thank you for that notebook, I am keeping it for reference, that is a great help :).

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program used for various scientific and mathematical calculations. It allows users to perform complex calculations, visualize data, and solve equations efficiently.

How can Mathematica be used for 4 vectors?

Mathematica has built-in functions and tools that allow for easy manipulation and calculation of 4 vectors. These functions include VectorQ, Norm, Dot, Cross, and many more. Users can also define their own custom functions for specific vector operations.

Can Mathematica handle vector calculus?

Yes, Mathematica has a wide range of functions and tools specifically designed for vector calculus. These include functions for gradient, divergence, curl, and line integrals. Users can also plot vector fields and surfaces to visualize vector calculus concepts.

Is Mathematica suitable for special relativity calculations?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions and packages for special relativity calculations. These include functions for Lorentz transformations, time dilation, and length contraction. Users can also perform relativistic kinematic calculations and plot spacetime diagrams.

Can Mathematica be used for vector graphics?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful graphics capabilities, including the ability to create and manipulate vector graphics. Users can generate 2D and 3D vector plots, vector fields, and vector animations. These graphics can also be exported in various formats for use in presentations and publications.