Zero Point Energy and Bose Einstein Condensates

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero-point energy (ZPE) and its relevance in calculating the ground state energy of a system. It is mentioned that while the Schroedinger equation gives the minimum energy of the system, it does not take into account the ZPE, which can be calculated separately. The second question is about the possibility of a lattice system composed of rubidium atoms forming a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) at 0 K. It is stated that this is not possible due to various reasons such as the limitations of DFT calculations and the need to include confining potentials.
askhetan
They say ZPE is the energy of the system at 0 K due to vibrations and even though the Schroedinger equation gives us the ground state minimum energy of the system (lets say by DFT/HF/QMC whatever), this energy is a little higher than that.

My first question is, because I have learned that SEqs is the most basic equation of QM, why are the atomic vibrations at 0 K not an out come of the SEqs. Because in reality now our ground state is redefined. If the system can NEVER have energy less than ZPE then isn't it the ground state energy. I know it might be very difficult to calculate, but apart from the electronic ground state shouldn't ZPE be also included in the ground state?? Or is this energy out of the purview of SEqns

My second question is - if i am simulating (using DFT or other ab-initio method) the lattice system which has total integer spin (like let's say a collection of rubidium atoms) - then does my simulation actually give me a BOSE EINSTEIN condensate..??

Physics news on Phys.org
askhetan said:
They say ZPE is the energy of the system at 0 K due to vibrations and even though the Schroedinger equation gives us the ground state minimum energy of the system (lets say by DFT/HF/QMC whatever), this energy is a little higher than that.

When they say so they most probably refer to the solution of the electronic Schroedinger equation in Born Oppenheimer approximation.
The vibrational energy has (and can) be calculated in a second step, so there is no problem with modern programs to calculate the ground state energy including the ZPE.
To your second question: Forming a lattice and BEC exclude one another. So a lattice of Rb atoms cannot form a BEC.

Thanks DrDu! I get it now. Programs like VASP can indeed calculate the ZPE. I still think though that it doesn't make much sense to use the ground state energy values not taking into account ZPE in the ground state energy, because including it gives us a better result.

As for your answer to the second question:

DrDu said:
When they say so they most probably refer to the solution of the electronic Schroedinger equation in Born Oppenheimer approximation.
The vibrational energy has (and can) be calculated in a second step, so there is no problem with modern programs to calculate the ground state energy including the ZPE.
To your second question: Forming a lattice and BEC exclude one another. So a lattice of Rb atoms cannot form a BEC.

Of course BEC is not a lattice. I will try to reframe my question (which is inspired from a documentary which told that one of the first systems which was made into a BEC composed of rubidium atoms). Supposing I simply calculate for a given number of rubidium atoms using DFT at 0 K - why should the system not be a BEC? The only requirements for BEC are bosonic systems and extremely low temperatures which are both satisfied in this case I guess

As for your answer to the second question:

Of course BEC is not a lattice. I will try to reframe my question (which is inspired from a documentary which told that one of the first systems which was made into a BEC composed of rubidium atoms). Supposing I simply calculate for a given number of rubidium atoms using DFT at 0 K - why should the system not be a BEC? The only requirements for BEC are bosonic systems and extremely low temperatures which are both satisfied in this case I guess

There are several problems with this:
A) DFT is a semi-empirical proceedure and functionals are neither designed nor sufficiently accurate for this kind of calculations.
B) You would have to include the confining magnetic and electric potentials.
C) That would be quite a formidable task for several thousand Rb atoms.
D) It does not make much sense. You can obtain all the relevant parameters, like the scattering lengths from accurate calculations done on one or two atoms.

Thanks!

1. What is Zero Point Energy?

Zero Point Energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It is the energy that remains when all other forms of energy have been removed from a system. It is also known as vacuum energy, as it exists even in a perfect vacuum.

2. What is the significance of Zero Point Energy?

The significance of Zero Point Energy lies in its implications for the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is responsible for the stability of atoms and molecules, and plays a role in the Casimir Effect, which is the attraction between two uncharged plates in a vacuum. It is also a key concept in understanding the nature of the vacuum and the origin of the universe.

3. What is Bose Einstein Condensate (BEC)?

Bose Einstein Condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. It is formed when a gas of bosons (particles with integer spin) is cooled to a temperature where all the particles occupy the same quantum state. This results in a macroscopic quantum state, where the particles behave as a single entity rather than individual particles.

4. What are the potential applications of Zero Point Energy and BEC?

There are several potential applications of Zero Point Energy and BEC. These include the development of ultra-sensitive sensors and detectors, quantum computing, and the creation of new materials with unique properties. BEC could also be used to simulate and study complex quantum systems, leading to advancements in fields such as material science and chemistry.

5. How is Zero Point Energy and BEC related to each other?

Zero Point Energy and BEC are related in that BEC is a state of matter that can only occur at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. The particles in a BEC are in their lowest energy state, and therefore, Zero Point Energy plays a crucial role in the formation and behavior of BEC. Additionally, BEC can be used to study and manipulate Zero Point Energy, leading to a better understanding of its properties and potential applications.