Can Proxy Servers Truly Protect Your Identity?

• Thread starter justwild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of proxy servers for protecting one's identity and possible implications for illegal activities. The speaker reminds that seeking advice for illegal activities is not appropriate on this forum and highlights the potential risks of using proxies for anonymity. They also mention the use of proxies by hackers for malicious purposes.
justwild
Well a common question arises out of my mind that Local IP addresses assigned by ISP are stored...that's ok...But happens when I connect myself to a Proxy server...My identity is protected..isn't it...So even if I do something wrong I won't be prosecuted as because the convict is the proxy server and prosecuting them would be another problem as they belong to different nation...What do you people say?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I say that if you are planning on doing something illegal, this forum is not the place to get advice about it.

justwild said:
Well a common question arises out of my mind that Local IP addresses assigned by ISP are stored...that's ok...But happens when I connect myself to a Proxy server...My identity is protected..isn't it...

There's no such guarantee and depends on the proxy. There are many ways in which your identity can leak and allow the proxied requests to be traced back to you.

phinds said:
I say that if you are planning on doing something illegal, this forum is not the place to get advice about it.

I am not...I am just thinking how vulnerable the system is...

justwild said:
I am not...I am just thinking how vulnerable the system is...

Anonymity is not a vulnerability of the system, it's a feature that many are actually fighting to protect.

It's also nothing new, for instance The Onion Router forwards requests through member nodes using encrypted communication to not only hide the source address but to reduce or eliminate traceability.

Additionally, hackers often use compromised machines as proxies for further attacks, for the same reason.

1. What is an identity server?

An identity server is a software program that manages and verifies digital identities. It acts as a central authority for identifying and authenticating users, allowing them to securely access online services and resources.

2. How does an identity server work?

An identity server works by storing and managing user identities and credentials. When a user wants to access a service, they are redirected to the identity server where they can enter their credentials. The identity server then verifies the credentials and grants access to the requested service if they are valid.

3. What is a proxy server?

A proxy server acts as a middleman between a user's device and the internet. It intercepts requests from the user's device and forwards them to the internet on behalf of the user. This can provide additional security and privacy for the user, as their IP address is not directly visible to the websites they visit.

4. What is the relationship between identity servers and proxy servers?

Identity servers and proxy servers are often used together in web applications. The identity server handles user authentication and authorization, while the proxy server handles the communication between the user and the internet. This setup can provide a secure and private online experience for users.

5. What are the benefits of using identity and proxy servers?

Using identity and proxy servers can provide several benefits, including improved security, protection against identity theft, and enhanced privacy. They can also help manage user access to online services and resources, making it easier for organizations to control and monitor user activities.