Can you explain Euler's Equation and KVL in engineering?

In summary, we discussed two topics in an engineering class - Euler's equation and solving a specific equation. The first question was about understanding how Euler's equation works, which is an identity that is always true. The second question was about solving an inhomogeneous first-order ODE, which can be done using methods such as undetermined coefficients, a standard formula, or variation of parameters. In electrical engineering, the symbol "j" is used for the imaginary constant to avoid confusion with the current symbol "i". We also briefly discussed Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and the initial value of the current in the solution process.
iRaid
In one of my engineering classes we discussed these two topics and I have two questions about this stuff.

First question is how does euler's equation work exactly..
[tex]e^{j\varphi}=cos\varphi+jsin\varphi[/tex]

Second question is how do you solve this:
[tex]V_{M}cos\omega t=Ri(t)+L\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks for the help..
(These aren't homework problems, just notes I do not understand)

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:
[tex]e^{j\varphi}=\cos\varphi+i\cdot\sin\varphi[/tex]

I, unfortunately, don't understand the question. What do you mean by "how?" (Note that I think you mean i, not j.)

And, to your second, what are Ri(t) and i(t)? Or [itex]V_M[/itex]? I might be being an idiot and missing something.

Euler's equation is an identity. What do have in mind with the question "How does it work?"?

iRaid said:
In one of my engineering classes we discussed these two topics and I have two questions about this stuff.

[tex]e^{j\varphi}=cos\varphi+jsin\varphi[/tex]

Second question is how do you solve this:
[tex]V_{M}cos\omega t=Ri(t)+L\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks for the help..
(These aren't homework problems, just notes I do not understand)

Hi iRaid! :smile:

Euler's equation is more than an equation - it's an identitiy.
It is always true.
It's not so easy to explain why it is true, but there are proofs lying around.
For instance here.For your 2nd question, it's an inhomogeneous first order ODE.

The way to solve it is one of:
- method of undetermined coefficients
- with a standard formula for it
- variation of parameters@Whovian: in electrical engineering, the function ##i(t)## is often used to define an input signal, usually a current.
That makes the use of the symbol ##i## for the imaginary constant ambiguous.
That's why the symbol ##j## is used for the imaginary constant.
The expression ##R i(t)## is Ohm's law (##\Delta V = I \times R##).

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hi iRaid! :smile:

Euler's equation is more than an equation - it's an identitiy.
It is always true.
It's not so easy to explain why it is true, but there are proofs lying around.
For instance here.

For your 2nd question, it's an inhomogeneous first order ODE.

The way to solve it is one of:
- method of undetermined coefficients
- with a standard formula for it
- variation of parameters

@Whovian: in electrical engineering, the function ##i(t)## is often used to define an input signal, usually a current.
That makes the use of the symbol ##i## for the imaginary constant ambiguous.
That's why they use ##j## for the imaginary constant.
The expression ##R i(t)## is Ohm's law (##\Delta V = I \times R##).

Ah I remember euler's formula now, the j is what got me..
Well I don't know ODE's so this sucks lol.

iRaid said:
Ah I remember euler's formula now, the j is what got me..
Well I don't know ODE's so this sucks lol.

Ah well, let's just say that in your case the general solution is of the form (method of undetermined coefficients):
$$i(t) = C_0 e^{-\frac R L t} + K \cos ωt + M \sin ωt$$

Can you find the constants ##C_0, K, M##?

Oh, and since we're not in electrical engineering here, let me add that KVL is the abbreviation for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of voltages in any electrical loop must be zero. The 2nd equation sort of represents this for a specific situation.

Remember, electrical engineers use j = sqrt(-1) in place of i to avoid confusion with current.

I like Serena said:
Ah well, let's just say that in your case the general solution is of the form (method of undetermined coefficients):
$$i(t) = C_0 e^{-\frac R L t} + K \cos ωt + M \sin ωt$$

Can you find the constants ##C_0, K, M##?

If they are given I can lol. I'm not sure what you mean.

The imaginary unit is also symbolized as j in physics. I believe that they denote it that way because it is consistent with the quaternions.

You can take the expedient yet historically dishonest path of defining exp(j*x)= cos x + j sin x. If you want to go the more honest path, consider the movement about the unit circle with a constant arc length speed and do some diff eq. with the IC that exp(0)=1.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I knew that j was the imaginary unit, but when I saw that equation, I forgot that or something, I'm not sure lol it just screwed me up. And as stated above the j is used as i in EE so that it isn't confused with current as current is used I am many equations.

iRaid said:
If they are given I can lol. I'm not sure what you mean.

When solving a differential equation, we're usually left with a general solution that has 1 or more as yet unknown constants.
When you fill in the general solution in the differential equation, you should find that some of those constants will have to have a specific value to satisfy the equation (for all values of t).
The question would then become: what do you get if you fill in this general solution in your equation?
(Only if you're interested of course.)

Doing di(t)/dt it would be:
[tex]C_{0}=\frac{-R}{L}\\K=-\omega\\M=\omega[/tex]

I believe?

iRaid said:
Doing di(t)/dt it would be:
[tex]C_{0}=\frac{-R}{L}\\K=-\omega\\M=\omega[/tex]

I believe?

Let's see...
$${di(t) \over dt} = - C_0 \frac R L e^{- \frac R L t} - Kω \cos ωt + Mω \sin ωt$$

So
$$V_M\cos ωt = Ri(t)+L{di(t) \over dt}$$
$$ \qquad = R(C_0 e^{- \frac R L t} +K \cos ωt + M \sin ωt) + L(- C_0 \frac R L e^{- \frac R L t} - Kω \sin ωt + Mω \cos ωt)$$
$$\qquad = (RK +LMω) \cos ωt + (RM - KLω) \sin ωt$$

Since it has to be true for any t, we find:
$$\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
RK +LMω = V_M \\
RM - KLω = 0
\end{array}\right.$$

From this you can solve K and M.
You still have a free choice for ##C_0##, but that choice follows if you know ##i(0)=i_0##.

Last edited:
I see thank you for the clarification.

1. What is Euler's Equation?

Euler's Equation is a mathematical formula that relates the complex exponential function to the trigonometric functions. It is written as eix = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, x is an angle measured in radians, cos(x) is the cosine function, and sin(x) is the sine function.

2. What is the significance of Euler's Equation?

Euler's Equation is significant because it unifies three important mathematical constants (e, i, and pi) and three fundamental mathematical functions (exponential, cosine, and sine) into one elegant equation. It has many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states the algebraic sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. In other words, the sum of the voltage drops across all the elements (resistors, capacitors, and inductors) in a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

4. How is Euler's Equation used in KVL?

Euler's Equation is used in KVL by representing complex voltages (which have both magnitude and phase) as the real part (voltage across resistors) and imaginary part (voltage across capacitors and inductors) of the complex exponential function. This allows us to apply KVL to circuits with AC (alternating current) sources and reactive elements.

5. Can Euler's Equation and KVL be applied to circuits with non-ideal components?

Yes, Euler's Equation and KVL can be applied to circuits with non-ideal components, as long as the components are linear and the voltages and currents are small enough to be approximated as linear. However, in practical applications, other circuit analysis methods may need to be used to account for non-idealities such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance.