Can a Magnetic Ferrofluid Valve Float Foam Balls in a Container?

In summary, a person is trying to use foam balls to float in a liquid. They are looking for a way to make a valve that will let the balls through without any leakage. They think that if they can build a magnet ring with the attractive pole hidden, and fit it at an angle pointing towards the ferrofluid, the valve will work.
MrSponge
Hi,

I was wanting to insert 1 inch foam balls inside a container of ferrofluid, causing the foam ball to float.

A normal one-way water valve would not let the ball through without any leakage (I believe), therefore I think that If i can build a valvue that consists of a ring of neodynium magnets with the pole that repulzes the ferrofluid pointing towards the centre with the attractive pole hidden. Fitted at an angle pointing towards the ferroufluid and away from the feed tube of foam balls.

I believe that this valve with just over 1 inch in diametre would be sufficient enought to allow the foam ball through ( and break surface tension) and to be absorbed into the liquid which will then float up. Without allowing ferrofliud to flow into the feed pipe.

Thankyou and I hope this is clear

Engineering news on Phys.org
Application?
... even if you had a perfect valve, you still have to push the ball into the fluid because you have to displace some fluid mass that would otherwise occupy the ball's immersed position.

What you describe appears to be a variation of this:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm#buoy4

Last edited:
MrSponge said:
Hi,

I was wanting to insert 1 inch foam balls inside a container of ferrofluid, causing the foam ball to float.

A normal one-way water valve would not let the ball through without any leakage (I believe), therefore I think that If i can build a valvue that consists of a ring of neodynium magnets with the pole that repulzes the ferrofluid pointing towards the centre with the attractive pole hidden. Fitted at an angle pointing towards the ferroufluid and away from the feed tube of foam balls.

I believe that this valve with just over 1 inch in diametre would be sufficient enought to allow the foam ball through ( and break surface tension) and to be absorbed into the liquid which will then float up. Without allowing ferrofliud to flow into the feed pipe.

Thankyou and I hope this is clear

Can you describe the application? Do you need to use ferrofluid? Or can you just use two different density liquids, and let the foam ball float up through the interface between them? If you need to use ferrofluid for some reason, can you just put a lighter fluid layer on top of it, and let the foam balls float up through the boundary between them?

@berkman - the first link in post #2 shows you the application.
I'll edit it to be clearer - thanks.

Also see this related idea which was to use water.

I can say that it is possible for a magnetic ferrofluid valve to float foam balls in a container. The concept of using magnets to manipulate the ferrofluid and allow the foam balls to float is a valid one. However, there are a few factors to consider in order to achieve this successfully.

Firstly, the strength and orientation of the magnets used in the valve will play a crucial role in the effectiveness of the valve. The magnets must be strong enough to repel the ferrofluid and create a barrier, but not too strong that they attract the foam balls and pull them through the valve. The orientation of the magnets must also be carefully considered to ensure that the ferrofluid is repelled towards the center of the valve, allowing the foam balls to pass through.

Additionally, the size of the valve and the foam balls must be taken into account. As you mentioned, a valve with a diameter just over 1 inch may be sufficient for 1 inch foam balls, but if the foam balls are larger, a larger valve may be needed. The size and shape of the container also need to be considered, as the movement of the ferrofluid and foam balls may be affected by the shape and size of the container.

Furthermore, the viscosity and properties of the ferrofluid and foam balls must be considered. The valve may work differently with different types of ferrofluid and foam balls, so experimentation and testing may be necessary to determine the best combination.

In conclusion, a magnetic ferrofluid valve can be used to float foam balls in a container, but careful consideration must be given to the strength and orientation of the magnets, size of the valve and foam balls, and properties of the ferrofluid and foam balls. Further experimentation and testing may be needed to optimize the design and achieve the desired result.

What is a Magnetic Ferrofluid Valve?

A Magnetic Ferrofluid Valve is a type of valve that uses ferrofluid, a liquid containing magnetic particles, to control the flow of a fluid. The valve is controlled by applying a magnetic field to the ferrofluid, which causes it to become more or less viscous, thus opening or closing the valve.

How does a Magnetic Ferrofluid Valve work?

The valve contains a chamber filled with ferrofluid and two magnets on either side. When a current is applied to the magnets, they create a magnetic field that interacts with the ferrofluid, causing it to change in viscosity and control the flow of the fluid passing through the valve.

What are the advantages of using a Magnetic Ferrofluid Valve?

One advantage of this type of valve is its ability to be controlled remotely, without the need for physical contact. It also has a quick response time and can operate in a wide range of temperatures and pressures. Additionally, ferrofluid is non-toxic and does not corrode, making it suitable for use in various industries.

What are the applications of Magnetic Ferrofluid Valves?

Magnetic Ferrofluid Valves have a wide range of applications, including in the medical field for drug delivery systems, in chemical and food processing industries, and in various scientific experiments that require precise control of fluid flow. They can also be used in electronic devices for cooling and lubrication purposes.

Are there any limitations to using Magnetic Ferrofluid Valves?

One limitation of these valves is their sensitivity to external magnetic fields, which can affect their performance. They also require a power source to operate, making them less suitable for use in remote or off-grid locations. Additionally, ferrofluid can be expensive, which may limit its use in certain applications.