Saving the telescope with damaged optics

In summary: These are little pieces of dust or dirt that have somehow made their way into the optical path and cause a blurry image. They are usually easy to clean using a vacuum cleaner and a soft cloth.In summary, the NexStar 4SE telescope can be used to take pictures of planets, but it is not very good at doing so. The optics are probably just dirty, or your particular eye piece is damaged, or the telescope is out of collimation (though I don't see how this would cause spots). You can check your EP by observing a bright field (uniformly lit daytime image or the moon) and rotating the EP inside the barrel of the diagonal. If the spots move, it's your EP. If not then remove the
Sarsat
I have a Celestron NexStar 4SE, I damaged the optics. Is there a company who just sells the telescope without the computerized mount?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Also with that in mind, can this telescope be used to take pictures of planets

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=231022390883&cmd=VIDESC [Broken]… and yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarsat said:
Also with that in mind, can this telescope be used to take pictures of planets

Sure, just don't expect any amazing pictures. With only 4 inches of aperture your resolution is quite limited.

Does anyone know any specific stores that sell just the 4SE telescope it self? excluding stand and computer mount.

Sorry, I looked around a little bit online but couldn't find any place that sold just the OTA.
How badly damaged are the optics?

Check local astronomy clubs, that is a very common telescope and usually its the mount that breaks, I'm sure there's a ton of OTA lying around.

What exactly did you do to the optics that you think they're busted?

I left it exposed to the Arizona heat for a few months

You anywhere close to Tucson?

And? What happened as a a result of that? The optics are made of glass and aluminum - they aren't going to be damaged from normal temperatures, even on a hot day.

the lenses are coated, does the heat damage the coating? I see spots when I view any object

It was in Tucson

Sarsat said:
the lenses are coated, does the heat damage the coating? I see spots when I view any object

Possibly, but I'm not sure. Are you certain it is the optics of the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) and not the eyepiece that are damaged?

Sarsat said:
It was in Tucson

Are you still in/near Tucson? If so, there are a few stores in town that might be able to help you.

Celestron uses what they call "Starbright XLT" coatings for that model, which is a blend of MgF2, HfO2 and TiO2, all of which have melting points well above 1000 degrees Celsius - the coating is not going to be damaged by exposure to temperature in the 100-120 degree F range, which is probably the hottest it could have gotten.

The lenses are probably just dirty, or your particular eye piece is damaged, or the telescope is out of collimation (though I don't see how this would cause spots). I suggest you find a local astronomy club who can teach you how to properly use and maintain your equipment, and can give you tips on cleaning the mirror or lenses if they need be.

That's very interesting information. Thank you

I don't live in Tucson anymore

Honestly if you are seeing spots, and not just general blurriness, that suggests that it may be your eyepiece that is damaged. If the optics were damaged then it should lead to blurred images, not spots. Get a flashlight out and inspect the glass in the front of your telescope and the mirror at the back. See if you can find anything that looks out of place. If you can't, then I doubt your optics are damaged.

For me spots suggest optics is not being destroyed, just dirty. But then my experience is very limited.

And if you can see spots then the defect or dust is near the focal plane of the telescope. Could be an EP but it is more likely the diagonal. If a Mak-Cass is out of collimation it doesn't manifest as spots. I don't even know if a Mak can be easily collimated but I suppose it is possible. All of the surfaces are spherical so factory collimation is pretty robust and the secondary is glued to the corrector so there isn't an adjustment for it.

Check your EP by observing a bright field (uniformly lit daytime image or the moon) and rotate the EP inside the barrel of the diagonal. If the spots move, it's your EP. If not then remove the diagonal and insert the EP directly into the rear of the OTA and see if they are still there. If you still see spots, you might have 'floaters'.

1. How do you determine if a telescope's optics are damaged?

The most common way to determine if a telescope's optics are damaged is through a visual inspection. This can be done by carefully examining the lenses or mirrors for scratches, cracks, or other signs of damage. Another method is to perform a star test, which involves observing a star through the telescope and checking for any distortions in the image. Additionally, specialized equipment such as interferometers can be used to measure the quality of the optics.

2. Can damaged optics be repaired?

In some cases, damaged optics can be repaired. This often depends on the extent and type of damage. For small scratches or dust particles, the optics can be cleaned using specialized tools and techniques. However, for more significant damage such as cracks or chips, the optics may need to be replaced entirely.

3. How does damaged optics affect telescope performance?

Damaged optics can significantly impact the performance of a telescope. It can cause image distortions, reduce the clarity and sharpness of images, and decrease the overall resolution. This can make it challenging to observe faint objects or details in celestial objects.

4. What are the consequences of not repairing damaged optics?

If damaged optics are not repaired, the telescope's performance will continue to deteriorate over time. This can ultimately render the telescope unusable or significantly limit its capabilities. Additionally, the cost of repairing or replacing the optics may increase if the damage becomes more severe.

5. How can we prevent damage to telescope optics?

To prevent damage to telescope optics, it is essential to handle them with care and avoid exposing them to harsh conditions. This includes keeping them clean and free of dust, storing them in a protective case when not in use, and avoiding direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become more severe.