Linked List Creation and Manipulation in C++: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter heavyc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating a linked list in C++ with 10 random numbers and inserting them in the appropriate position. The goal is to display the number of occurrences for each number, delete duplicate items, and sort the list. The person is struggling with getting started and is seeking help due to difficulties with their teacher and the book. They are also unsure about using C++6.0 instead of C++.net.
heavyc
i was wondering if anyone can help me with linked lists?
I have to create a linked list with 10 random numbers rangeing from 1-5 and insert them into a node in the appriote postion of a linearly linked list and display the number of times each number of occurences of each item. and i have to create a function that would delete the replicate items in the linked list and only leave one of the same numbers. and then display the linked list sorted and unique.

I am having trouble starting this out because my teacher sucks and the book is horrible. I have tried help from computer people but it is still not sticking. I am sure if someone can help me get started i can probably get the rest done but i have no idea to get this started because i have only used c++.net and the teacher wants it done in c++6.0 so that is some of the trouble i am having so if someone can help i would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
um...C++ in .net is virtually the same as in 6.0. The syntax has not changed. Use the random function in <cmath> to generate random numbers. Are you using standard template library or creating this from scratch?

I am not an expert in programming languages like C++, but I can offer some general advice for tackling this problem. Firstly, it is important to understand the basics of linked lists and their operations, such as insertion, deletion, and sorting. You can find plenty of online resources and tutorials that explain these concepts in detail.

Next, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. For example, you can start by creating a function that generates 10 random numbers within the given range and inserts them into a linked list. Then, you can focus on counting the occurrences of each number in the list.

Once you have these steps figured out, you can move on to the more challenging task of deleting duplicate items in the list. This may require some additional research and understanding of algorithms for removing duplicates in linked lists.

If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to seek help from experienced programmers or your classmates. Collaborating with others can often lead to new insights and solutions.

Overall, it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and the tools at your disposal before attempting to write any code. Take your time, break down the problem into smaller parts, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck!

1. What is a linked list and how does it work?

A linked list is a data structure consisting of a series of nodes that are connected to each other. Each node contains a value and a pointer to the next node in the list. This allows the list to be traversed from one node to the next, making it easy to insert or remove nodes at any position in the list.

2. What are the advantages of using a linked list over other data structures?

Linked lists have several advantages over other data structures such as arrays. They allow for efficient insertion and deletion of nodes, as well as dynamic resizing of the list. Additionally, linked lists can be easily implemented in any programming language and are ideal for use in situations where the size of the data is unknown.

3. How do you create a linked list?

To create a linked list, you first need to define a node structure that contains a value and a pointer to the next node. Then, you can create a head node and assign it a value. Subsequent nodes can be added by creating new nodes and linking them to the previous nodes using their pointers.

4. How do you insert or remove nodes in a linked list?

To insert a node into a linked list, you need to find the position where you want to insert it and then change the pointers of the previous and next nodes to point to the new node. To remove a node, you need to change the pointers of the previous and next nodes to bypass the node you want to remove, and then delete the node.

5. What are some common operations on a linked list?

Some common operations on a linked list include inserting and removing nodes, traversing the list to search for a specific value, and sorting the list. Other operations may include merging two linked lists, reversing the order of the list, or finding the length of the list.