QFT & Bound States: Is Calculation Possible?

In summary, quantum field theory does not allow calculations and predictions of bound states in a satisfactory way. This is a problem because QFT is supposed to be so fundamental.
Ratzinger
I read somewhere that quantum field theory does not allow calculations and predictions of bound states in a satisfactory way. Is that true and how much is that a problem given that qft claims to be so fundamental?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as i know, QFT does a good job in some problems concerning bound states, e.g. the Lamb shift in light atoms, which has been calculated using QFT in Weinberg's book. But in bound states with strong interaction, as a bound state is a low energy state(~MeV), the strong interaction becomes so strong that perturbation theory breaks down in any sense. So we can't use common QFT method to calculate hadron mass, etc. But we do have some approaches to settle this problem, e.g. lattice QCD, but the solution is far from exact.

Last edited:
wangyi said:
But in bound states with strong interaction, as a bound state is a low energy state(~MeV), the strong interaction becomes so strong that perturbation theory breaks down in any sense. So we can't use common QFT method to calculate hardon mass, etc.

Well this problem is more general. The entire QCD field theory suffers from it.

But we do have some approaches to settle this problem, e.g. lattice QCD, but the solution is far from exact.

Lattice QCD ? You mean non perturbative QFT or infrared QCD, right ?

regards
marlon

I hear Lattice QCD can do some non perturbative calculations, for example, it can give hadron mass up to a few percent in most sence. In lattice QCD, we can begin with the Euclidean but entire action, take the action as a probable denisty of all field configurations, place space on lattice and do sampling according to the action.

It's my understanding. I hope it is helpful.

regards.

Last edited:
wangyi, I believe what you say is true. BTW the particle name you want is hadron, with the d coming before the the r. It is important to observe this silly detail because your original spelling has an embarassing slang meaning.

Sorry, My mother language is not English, but I will pay more attention on these details. Thank you for your correction.

1. What is QFT and how is it related to bound states?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. Bound states are systems in which two or more particles are bound together by a strong force. QFT is important for studying bound states because it allows us to calculate the properties and behavior of these systems using mathematical equations derived from fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Why is it difficult to calculate bound states in QFT?

Calculating bound states in QFT is challenging because it involves solving complex mathematical equations that describe the interactions between particles. These equations often have no analytical solutions, meaning they cannot be solved using traditional mathematical methods. Instead, numerical methods and approximations must be used, which can be time-consuming and require high computational power.

3. Can we accurately predict the properties of bound states using QFT?

Yes, QFT has been successful in predicting the properties of bound states in many cases. However, due to the complexity of the calculations, there may be some uncertainty or error in the predictions. Ongoing research and advancements in computational methods are helping to improve the accuracy of these predictions.

4. What types of bound states can be studied using QFT?

QFT can be used to study a wide range of bound states, including atoms, molecules, and nuclei. It is also applicable to systems in high-energy physics, such as quark-gluon plasmas and particle interactions. QFT can also be extended to study the properties of bound states in more exotic scenarios, such as black holes and the early universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying bound states in QFT?

Yes, the study of bound states in QFT has many practical applications. For example, understanding the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules is crucial in fields such as chemistry and materials science. In high-energy physics, knowledge of bound states is essential for developing new technologies, such as particle accelerators and medical imaging devices. Additionally, research on bound states can also lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.