Magnetism - the proportionality constant question

In summary, the equation for magnetic field (B) is derived from Ampere's Law and Biot-Savart. It involves the current (I), distance (r), and the constant 2pi, which comes from integrating around a circle of radius r. This equation is used to calculate the magnetic field from an infinite straight wire.
dragon513
cb89c25072088f55cddf1b60ce6bd8a9.png

Hi! Can anyone please tell me where this equation was derived from?
This equation is used to get the magnetic field (B).
I is current and r is the distance. And I think I understand the Meu. And yet I have no idea where the 2pi came from. I looked in my textbook, internet and asked friends but nobody seems to know.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is the magnitude of the magnetic field carried by a long wire. I think you meant r instead of y in the equation you displayed. You obtain it by simple application of Ampere's Law and the [itex]2\pi r[/itex] comes from integrating around a circle of radius r (i.e. it's the circumference of the circle).

Well, that's the magnetic field from an infinite straight wire, which you can get using Biot-Savart:

[tex]d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{I \vec{dl} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

Biot-Savart is derived from Ampere's Law:

[tex]\int_C \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dl} = \mu_0 \int_S \vec{J} \cdot \vec{da}[/tex]

aha, thank you!

1. What is the proportionality constant in magnetism?

The proportionality constant in magnetism is known as the magnetic constant or the permeability of free space. It is denoted by the symbol μ0 and has a value of 4π×10-7 N/A2.

2. What is the significance of the proportionality constant in magnetism?

The proportionality constant in magnetism determines the strength of the magnetic field created by an electric current. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the force between two current-carrying wires or magnets.

3. How is the proportionality constant in magnetism related to other physical constants?

The proportionality constant in magnetism is related to other physical constants, such as the electric constant, through the speed of light (c). It is also related to the gravitational constant (G) through the permittivity of free space.

4. Can the value of the proportionality constant in magnetism change?

The value of the proportionality constant in magnetism is a fundamental constant of nature and is considered to be a fixed value. However, it may vary slightly in different mediums, such as in materials with different magnetic properties.

5. How is the proportionality constant in magnetism measured?

The proportionality constant in magnetism is measured through experiments involving the force between two current-carrying wires or magnets. It can also be calculated by combining other physical constants, such as the speed of light and the electric constant.