Quantum Teleportation: Future Human Transportation?

In summary: Quantum teleportation is not teleportation in the traditional sense. It is the transfer of information from one place to another. It is like sending an email, but instead of sending it through a wire or a satellite, it is sent through a quantum channel. However, this does not mean that the actual object is being physically transferred. It is just the state of the object that is being sent. And in order for the state to be recovered, classical communication is still necessary. So no, quantum teleportation is not a means of transportation for humans in the traditional sense.
touqra
Will quantum teleportation be the future transportation mode for humans?

Physics news on Phys.org
touqra

At present, quantum teleportation has been used to transfer information about the state a physical system, e.g. the polarization of a photon or the excitation of an atom. But that is different from teleporting the actual photon or atom, and (as far as I know) there is not a way to perform that latter type of teleportation.

I have heard arguments that in principle the state of a person could be teleported. But practical constraints, such as the complexiety of the system, would seem to prohibit this example of quantum teleportation from being realized.

Please follow up if this is unclear.

This is why I cringe when those people in that field of study started using the phrase "quantum teleportation". This is a perfect example where, if someone didn't know what that means, they'll confuse it with the Star Trek teleportation.

Those two are not the same. They are not even cousins.

Zz.

mmmm

quantum teleportation has been used to transfer information

eerr, since when?! transfer of *information* instantaneously?so information *can* travel from A to B faster than light in a vacuum?...

Don't worry alfred, information still can't go faster than light. In order for the person on the other end to recover the state there always has to be classical communication.

alfredblase:

yeah what physics monkey said...not instantaneous, not even faster than light, instead requiring one classical and one quantum communication channel.

p.s. I know some groups (Gisin, Geneva) have tried to measure a "speed" for information transfer via a quantum channel, i.e. entanglement, but as far as I know they have not measured one yet.

beautiful1 said:
touqra

At present, quantum teleportation has been used to transfer information about the state a physical system, e.g. the polarization of a photon or the excitation of an atom. But that is different from teleporting the actual photon or atom, and (as far as I know) there is not a way to perform that latter type of teleportation.

I have heard arguments that in principle the state of a person could be teleported. But practical constraints, such as the complexiety of the system, would seem to prohibit this example of quantum teleportation from being realized.

Please follow up if this is unclear.

Transfering the state of a physical system...does it mean I will have duplicate another photon in another place? If the photon is a human, then, I've actually cloned him in the physics way?

Practical constraints? But how about quantum computers? Sending bits and bits of information can be complicated too.

touqra said:
Transfering the state of a physical system...does it mean I will have duplicate another photon in another place? If the photon is a human, then, I've actually cloned him in the physics way?

Maybe it might be a good idea, before you ask the original question, for you to first discover the definition of "quantum teleportation". It might surprise you to learn that what we have here is a transfer of INFORMATION, not the transfer of the object carrying that information. That is what transfer of a "state" means.

Zz.

This knowledge may someday help in transferring one person from a place to other, but this operation will require several orders of magnitude more processing capabilities than the used nowadays in laboratories.

In fact the term quantum teleportation (QT) does not imply flux of matter through space.

A TV program where a lady teaches you how to prepare a cake may have something in common with QT. The basic and most fundamental difference between these two processes is that, in QT the lady intends to teach you how to construct a system in a given state which she cannot investigate in principle, otherwise the information about the actual state of her cake will disappear. She teaches you to faithfully construct an exact copy of something that is with her, but she also does not know details about it.

Best Regards

DaTario

touqra, great follow up question.

like ZapperZ said, it is information about the photon that is transferred but not the photon itself. Photons have two orthogonal (perpendicular) polarizations, called H and V for horizontal and vertical. Quantum mechanics allows for superpositions of these polarizations, such as H + V, which is a "state" of the photon. Quantum teleportation transfers the state of one photon to another photon, even when those two photons are spatially separated. But the second photon has to exist before teleportation can happen!

So, like in DaTario's analogy, someone giving you information to make something is very different from them giving you that thing. Another example might be a fax machine. When someone faxes (teleports) to you a document they do not send the original, only the information on it. You must already have some paper to print this information on. (In truth, teleportation is slightly more complicated than this.)

Finally, in quantum teleportation the original information is always destroyed. Not the photon, but the state it was in changes. Instead, only the second photon contains the “state.” But this is not a surprise (well, technically not a surprise) because there is a no-cloning theorem in quantum mechanics. Search the forum for more information on that.

So you couldn’t clone humans this way.

But could you teleport a human? Well, could you fax a human?

Great questions...

alfredblase said:
mmmm

eerr, since when?! transfer of *information* instantaneously?so information *can* travel from A to B faster than light in a vacuum?...

hi
no information can't travel with speed than light.because in teleportation protocol Alice send results of her measurement to bob via classical channel. so special relativity is not violated.
also no-cloning theorem is not violated because after measurement Alice's qubit is destroyed.

okay, the answer is highly unlikely.
I tried to be very basic another thread as the individual didn't want to know all the ins and outs but just wanted basic idea what quantum entanglement meant and how it related to teleportation. Some people ZapperZ think that if they make it complicated that they must be and are showing they are superior when in fact this is not necessarily the case. Any way, to attempt to remove the complication: The quantum teleportation has more to do with the idea of knowing the state (of all possible states) of a particular particle that is one halve of an entangled pair. Each halve being opposite the other being a "known", so once you observe the state on one particle you know the other is the exact opposite. No physical disappear from here and reappear over there actually happens, you already have both particles. Okay, how do you get entangled pairs? The answer is, in several ways, for instance when you have calcium atoms energized and they become de-energized they produce an entangled pair of photons each with the opposite state maybe the first has a CW spin or maybe a CCW spin, you don't know till you look. You change the state of the first one by looking and observing it is CCW and you know automatically the other is spinning CW. We can go down the rabbit hole but now you know generally there is no poof it was here now poof it is there (Uh, please, I wrote that last sentence and laughed. Before you respond with a blah blah blah about virtual particles poofing into existence etc. remember, that is not what he wanted to know)

You are responding to the question that was posted in 2006! The ship has left the harbor a long time ago.

Zz.

1. What is quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation is a process in which the exact state of an object (such as an atom or photon) is transmitted from one location to another, with the help of quantum entanglement and classical communication. It does not involve the actual movement of matter, but rather the transfer of information about its quantum state.

2. Can quantum teleportation be used for human transportation?

At this time, quantum teleportation has only been successfully demonstrated with individual particles on a very small scale. The technology and knowledge required for teleporting complex systems such as humans is far beyond our current capabilities. It is still a topic of ongoing research and development, but it is not yet a feasible method of transportation for humans.

3. How does quantum teleportation differ from traditional teleportation or transportation methods?

Traditional teleportation or transportation methods involve the physical movement of matter from one location to another. Quantum teleportation, on the other hand, involves the transfer of information about a quantum state without physically moving the matter. It also relies on the principles of quantum mechanics, such as entanglement and superposition, which are not utilized in traditional transportation methods.

4. Is quantum teleportation safe for humans?

Since quantum teleportation does not involve the physical movement of matter, it is generally considered safe for humans. However, there are still ethical and philosophical considerations to be addressed, as well as potential risks of disrupting the quantum state of the transported object. As with any new technology, thorough testing and safety protocols would need to be established before it could be used on humans.

5. When do you think quantum teleportation could become a reality for human transportation?

It is difficult to predict a specific timeline for when quantum teleportation could become a reality for human transportation. It will likely require significant advancements in technology and a better understanding of quantum mechanics. While it is currently not feasible, with continued research and development, it could potentially become a reality in the distant future.