Why were there so many geniuses ?

• Thread starter notknowing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the abundance of geniuses living during the period of 1850-1950 and the potential for a new generation of geniuses in the future. It is suggested that the Victorian Age nurtured and supported these geniuses, and that major paradigm shifts in physics also contributed to their success. The increase in population and specialization in modern times may make it more difficult to make significant contributions to science, but it is important to continue thinking outside the box in order to make new discoveries. The concept of "genius" is also debated, with some arguing that it is seen in tackling difficult problems, rather than making seemingly simple discoveries or boasting about one's intelligence.
notknowing
I find it rather odd that there were so many geniuses (famous physicists or mathematicians) living in the period around 1850 -1950 (Minkowski, Hilbert, Heisenberg, Pauli, Einstein, Noether, etc.). It looks like there was a real "boom" of geniuses. I'm not a real believer in astrology, but I just wonder if we just have to wait a 100 year or so to see the new geniuses which will make order in our present chaos.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! I resent that. Don't you think that any of us (perhaps member(s) of this forum) could be geniuses!? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

notknowing said:
I find it rather odd that there were so many geniuses (famous physicists or mathematicians) living in the period around 1850 -1950 (Minkowski, Hilbert, Heisenberg, Pauli, Einstein, Noether, etc.). It looks like there was a real "boom" of geniuses. I'm not a real believer in astrology, but I just wonder if we just have to wait a 100 year or so to see the new geniuses which will make order in our present chaos.

One reason was Gauss (and to a lesser extent Cauchy). They set up wonderful mathematical beginnings which attracted a lot of people. The roots of Riemannian Geometry are in Gauss's theory of surfaces (Riemann was Gauss's student). And Cauchy's theory of analytical functions of complex variables became THE subject matter that obsessed mathematicians good and bad during your period. Gauss also introduced the abstract way of looking at numbers which lead to modern algebra (Galois' group theory was picked up long after his death by the already maturing modern algebra of 1850 - 1900).

Also the huge expansion of the German university system, associated with (a)modernisation of education and (b) unification of Germany produced a lot of jobs for one generation of savants. "Build it and they will come." Unfortunately they kept on coming after the positions were full, leading to the misuse of the Privat-Doszent system, similar to today's gypsy postdoc/untenured Adjunct abortion.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any fewer geniuses today than there were then. In fact, there are probably more people involved in the sciences, and probably more geniuses. Unfortunately, few geniuses are really recognized in textbooks and such until after their deaths -- it takes a lifetime of achievement to be considered a contemporary Gauss.

Also, keep in mind that science today is a much larger edifice than in the past, so scientists tend to work on only small pieces of it today. The large swaths of mathematical foundation built by early pioneers may seem like larger contributions than the narrow ones made by today's physicists and mathematicians, but I think, in terms of either effort or genius, they are at least on par.

- Warren

notknowing said:
I find it rather odd that there were so many geniuses (famous physicists or mathematicians) living in the period around 1850 -1950.
The Victorian Age was the Golden Age of Science. It was an era when upper middle class became common and average folk had enough leisure time and finances to learn, explore and study. It was a time marked by a profound and widespread belief that everything there was to know could be - and indeed would be - explained through rational thought and scientific study.

This didn't create all those geniuses, but it did nurture them and allow them to prosper, providing a culture that respected - and financed - them.

Lets also not forget that that era witnessed several major paradigm shifts in physics, empowered by the earlier significant discoveries of Riemann, Gauss, Poincare, Cauchy, etc. As the saying goes, 1932 was a year when second rate men did first rate work (I forget who said that...). There has been no comparable period in terms of opportunity for discovery in the history of science.

I would agree that there are many more geniuses now. Even if education levels stayed the same as the last century, just the sheer population increase alone would increase the amount of true thinkers. I do believe that it is worlds more difficult to make a noticeable difference in humanity now than > 100 years ago though. After all, how difficult would it have been to invent the wheel? Now you have to specialize. Learn the rules, (volumes and volumes of rules) before you break them. You can't deny that people in the distant future will look at our generation like it's the dark ages. It's our job to try and figure out why. Einstein had a good quote: "People who never make mistakes never try anything new." Thinking outside the box is what it's all about.

- Because 100 years ago things were "easier" (i have discussed it in several post ) i don't think you must be a "genius" (form me only "Euler" the scientist and Da vinci in the realm of science could be considered as genius) to discover SE (a simple PDE linear equation) or "Photoelectric Effect" or "Wave-matter duality" (the easiest demonstration of all science) or other stupid "stuff" that it could have ocurred to me.

- The "genius" is seen in a difficult problem...for example "G. Perelman" took ¡¡8 years¡¡ of his life to solve "Poincare Conjecture" that's a genius problem, not the arrogants of 20-th centry, for example Dirac who claimed himself his "wonderful" intelligence but couldn't solve Quantum Gravity problem... :rolleyes:

1. Why were there so many geniuses during certain historical periods?

There are a few factors that contribute to a higher concentration of geniuses during certain historical periods. One reason is that there may have been more resources and opportunities available for individuals to develop their intelligence and talents. Additionally, cultural and societal factors may have placed a higher value on intellectual pursuits, leading to a larger pool of individuals who were encouraged to pursue their passions and excel in their fields.

2. Were geniuses born with their high level of intelligence?

While there is evidence that genetics can play a role in intelligence, it is likely that a combination of both nature and nurture contribute to the development of geniuses. Environmental factors such as access to education, opportunities for intellectual stimulation, and supportive family and social networks can also have a significant impact on an individual's intelligence.

3. Can anyone become a genius with enough effort and dedication?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as it depends on how one defines "genius." While some may argue that anyone can achieve a high level of intelligence with enough effort and dedication, others believe that there may be certain innate qualities or abilities that are required to reach the level of a genius. Additionally, external factors such as access to resources and opportunities can also play a significant role in one's potential for intellectual success.

4. Were there more geniuses in the past compared to the present?

It is difficult to accurately compare the number of geniuses in the past to the present, as the definition of "genius" and methods for identifying and measuring intelligence have changed over time. However, advancements in technology and education have likely increased the opportunities for individuals to develop their intelligence in the present day.

5. Are there still geniuses today?

Absolutely! While there may not be as many well-known geniuses as there were in the past, there are still countless individuals who possess exceptional intelligence and make significant contributions to various fields. Additionally, as our understanding of intelligence continues to evolve, we may discover that there are many different types of geniuses who excel in different ways and areas of expertise.