Analyzing Velocity as a Function of Depth Underwater

To solve for velocity as a function of depth, you can use the chain rule to find \frac{dv}{dx} and then integrate both sides to get the desired function. However, it may be difficult to find a nice function due to the quadratic term in the equation. Keep in mind that the velocity will also depend on the initial conditions and the specific values of g, c, and m.
Ed Quanta
If some dude jumps into the ocean from a 10m diving board so that when he makes contact with the water F=-mg + cv^2 where c is some frictional constant, how do I solve for the velocity of the guy as a function of the depth under water? I am able to integrate so that I obtain velocity as a function of time and then integrate again so that I have the depth under water as a function of time, but I can't seem to get a nice function for velocity in terms of depth. I'm really bad with this stuff so I just thought Id throw the question out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
u can write

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt} * \frac{dv}{dx} = v \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that uses mathematical methods, particularly calculus, to study the motion and dynamics of physical systems. It is used to describe and predict the behavior of objects and systems under the influence of forces and energy.

2. What are the key principles of Analytical Mechanics?

The key principles of Analytical Mechanics are the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will always follow the path that minimizes its action, and the principle of virtual work, which states that the work done by all forces on a system will be equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. How is Analytical Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics builds upon the laws of Newtonian Mechanics, but it uses a more rigorous mathematical approach to describe the behavior of physical systems. It also takes into account more complex systems and non-inertial reference frames.

4. What are some applications of Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to study the motion of particles and objects, analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, and predict the orbits of celestial bodies.

5. What skills are needed to study Analytical Mechanics?

To study Analytical Mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, as well as a good understanding of classical mechanics and physics principles. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important in this field.