Plasma Globes, and H or B Fields.

In summary, the conversation revolved around a unique observation made while interacting with a plasma globe. The individual noticed a rotating "flower" shape when moving their finger near the globe's wall. This may be related to the electrical properties of the materials used and further experimentation is suggested. There was also a brief discussion about the technical limitations of the forum platform.
SteveDB
Hey all.
This is somewhat off topic, and so if it needs to be moved, just let me know where to.
Recently while toying with my plasma globe I noticed something I'd never seen with it before. For those with plasma globes, check it out.
The procedure is as follows.
Take your finger, and very slowly move it close to the globe wall. If you look very closely (with my 6" globe, these are faint, pink elements) while doing this you'll see what I can only describe as a "flower" rotating in one direction of the other. The geometric shape is similar to the trig functions we studied in trig classes. Limacon's. Sorry about the c. I tried inserting the correct letter with the diacritical mark, and it would not allow me to do so- the browser window took me back to the home forum page.
My initial thoughts on this is that they are a visual expression of the H field, as they rotate around the currrent filament leaving the core.
You don't necessarily need your finger. Any electron transferring material will cause this. Metal, food, fingers, the back of your hand, etc... (yea, I know, but that's why it's called experimentation) The only difference will be due to the shape of the device you use. E.g., if you use your hand, you'll see a long, twinky shaped limacon.
One thing that I did notice was that they change direction for the direction of your movement. If you move towards the globe it rotates one direction, and as you pull away it reverses direction. I was unable to determine the direction-- cw/ccw-- of rotation due to the velocity of the rotation, and subsequent explosive decompression of my globe later during another experiment.
Any ideas? thoughts, previous experiences, and or corrections?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. It's always exciting to see unexpected phenomena, especially with something as visually captivating as a plasma globe. Your description of the "flower" rotating in a direction depending on your movement is quite intriguing. It's possible that this could be related to the electrical properties of the materials you are using to interact with the globe. The movement of electrons and electric fields can create specific patterns and shapes, so it's plausible that your actions are causing a change in the electric field around the globe and creating this effect.
I would suggest conducting some further experiments with different materials and movements to see if you can replicate and understand this phenomenon more clearly. It could also be helpful to research any similar observations or experiments that have been done in the past with plasma globes. Keep us updated on your findings!
As for the diacritical mark issue, it's possible that it could be a limitation of the forum platform. Perhaps try using a different browser or formatting the letter in a different way to see if that helps.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and happy experimenting!

Thanks for sharing your observation with the plasma globe! It sounds like you have discovered a fascinating phenomenon. It is possible that the rotating "flower" you see is caused by the interaction between the electric field and the magnetic field within the plasma globe. This is known as the Lorentz force, which causes charged particles to move in a circular or helical path when subjected to both electric and magnetic fields. In this case, the electric field is provided by the plasma globe and the magnetic field could be generated by the current in the filament or by the Earth's magnetic field.

As for the direction of rotation, it could be determined by the direction of the electric current or the direction of the magnetic field. It would require further experimentation to determine the exact cause. It is also possible that other factors, such as the shape and material of your finger, could affect the direction of rotation.

Overall, your observation is a great example of how physics principles can be observed and experienced in everyday objects. Keep exploring and experimenting, and you may uncover even more interesting phenomena!

1. What is a plasma globe?

A plasma globe is a sealed glass orb filled with a mixture of gases, such as neon and argon, at low pressure. Inside the globe, there is a central electrode that is connected to a high voltage power supply. When the power is turned on, it excites the gas and creates a plasma, which is a highly ionized gas that emits a colorful glow.

2. How does a plasma globe work?

A plasma globe works by creating a high voltage electric field inside the glass orb. This electric field ionizes the gas particles, causing them to lose electrons and form a plasma. The plasma then interacts with the electric field, creating beautiful patterns and streams of light.

3. What are H and B fields in relation to plasma globes?

H and B fields refer to the magnetic and electric fields, respectively, that are present in the plasma globe. These fields are created by the high voltage power supply and are responsible for exciting the gas particles and forming the plasma.

4. Are there any dangers associated with plasma globes?

Plasma globes do not pose any significant danger to humans. However, the high voltage used to create the plasma can cause a mild electric shock if touched. It is important to handle plasma globes with caution and keep them away from young children or anyone with a pacemaker or other electronic medical device.

5. Can plasma globes produce any practical applications?

Plasma globes are primarily used for entertainment purposes, but they do have some practical applications. For example, they can be used in educational settings to demonstrate the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are also used in some scientific experiments to study plasma physics. However, they do not have any widespread practical applications.