Constructive/Destructive Interference Problem.

In summary: So, if the light reflects from the bottom of the wedge (where the index of refraction is higher), it will have a phase shift of 180 degrees. This means that the reflected light will interfere destructively with the incoming light, creating a dark spot on the wedge. On the other hand, if the light reflects from the top of the wedge (where the index of refraction is lower), there will be no phase shift and the light will interfere constructively, creating a bright spot on the wedge. This explains why the colors that are weak in the reflected light are strong in the transmitted light, as they are being filtered out by destructive interference. In summary, the colors in the transmitted light are strong because of destructive interference caused by phase
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

If we shine white light on an air wedge like that shown in the figure below, the colors that are weak in the light reflected from any point along the wedge are strong in the light transmitted through the wedge. Explain why this should be so.
http://www.practicalphysics.org/imageLibrary/jpeg350/128.jpg

Homework Equations

Constructive reflection from thin film, no relative phase shift

2t = m*lambda (m = 0,1,2...)

Destructive reflection from thin film, no relative phase shift

2t = (m + 0.5)lambda (m = 0,1,2...)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the light is passing through the wedge has a greater index of refraction, that means that the light wave actually slows down as it passes through.

In waves, v = f * lambda so we can find the relationship between the constructive interference and the velocity of the wave by

(d/t) = f * lambda
t = d / (f * lambda)

2(d / f * lambda) = m lambda

2d/f = m.

And I'm completely stuck here. I think I'm going in a wrong direction to answer this problem. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bumppppppppppppppppp

bumpppppppppppppppppppp

bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

-_-

bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

someone please help me...

Sigh it's almost been a week, yet no answer

I don't really have to much to say about this off the top of my head, but here's what I would think about:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the velocity. You need to consider the index of refraction though, to determine if there is a phase shift when the light is reflected at each boundary. This will determine if there is constructive or destructive interference, and where.

hage567 said:
I don't really have to much to say about this off the top of my head, but here's what I would think about:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the velocity. You need to consider the index of refraction though, to determine if there is a phase shift when the light is reflected at each boundary. This will determine if there is constructive or destructive interference, and where.

How exactly do you determine the phase shift to this question?

I think the rule is if the light reflects from a medium of a higher index of refraction than that of the medium it is traveling in, you will get a phase change of 180 degrees.

1. What is constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude combine to form a wave with a larger amplitude. This results in reinforcement of the wave and a more intense disturbance. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves of the same frequency and opposite amplitude cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude and a weaker disturbance.

2. How does constructive and destructive interference affect sound?

Constructive interference can make sounds louder, while destructive interference can make them quieter or even cancel them out completely. This is because sound is a wave and follows the same principles of interference as other waves.

3. Can interference occur with other types of waves besides sound?

Yes, interference can occur with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves. The principles of constructive and destructive interference apply to all types of waves.

4. What factors affect the degree of interference?

The degree of interference depends on the relative phase, amplitude, and frequency of the two waves. If the waves are in phase (peaks and troughs line up), they will experience constructive interference. If they are out of phase (peaks and troughs do not line up), they will experience destructive interference.

5. How is interference used in practical applications?

Interference is used in many practical applications, such as noise-cancelling headphones, where destructive interference is used to cancel out unwanted sounds. It is also used in radio communications to prevent interference between different channels. In addition, interference is used in various scientific experiments to study wave behavior and properties.