Particle in constant electic and magnetic field

In summary: If E is stronger, the particle will continue to move in a straight line, but if B is stronger, the particle will be drawn into a spiral.
Decan
This isn't really a homework question, just something to satisfy my curiosity but if it belongs in the homework section, I really apologize and if the mods could move it to that section, it would be much appreciated.

Anywho, in class we talked about a particle accelerated by an electric field generated by capacitors. It then leaves through a hole and enters a constant magnetic field. That got me thinking, what if there is a constant magnetic field AND an electric field acting on the object at the same time?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/406/physicsix5.png

Above is my interpretation of what would happen. Let's say a proton is released, it would travel toward the negative plate because it is accelerated in that direction because of the electric force. The motion of the proton in a magnetic field would generate a magnetic force and cause the proton to move in a circle. The net force on the object = magnetic force + electric force. My question is, how would the partice move? I know the manetic force and the electric force are components of the net force but can anyone help me understand the direction of movement? Since the particle does not have constant acceleration (so no constant velocity), is it possible to figure out the velocity of the particle? Here's what I think...

F net = qvB + qE = ma; so v = (ma-qE)/qB but since the acceleration is changing constantly, would this be instantaneous velocity? If so, is the trajectory created by this velocity also changing constantly (since Fmag = mv^2/R)?

Finally, what if gravity was involved? Now the net force has 3 components...but I can't imagine/figure out how the partice would move. The professor is out of town and will be for the next few days. I think that understanding this would really help me on the exam so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From memory, I looked at a few study guide diagrams, if both an electric field and magnetic field were present in a cathode ray tube an electron would pass through undeflected.

I wonder why that is...

f3, that'd be Thomson's experiment rather than the general case.

Decan, the simplest (brute force) approach to this problem (using your F net = qvB + qE = m[itex]\frac{\triangle v}{\triangle t}[/itex]) is to consider one [itex]{\triangle t}[/itex] at a time, draw the particle's velocity initially, calculate the initial change in velocity, use that to deduce the approximate position and velocity a moment later, then re-calculate the force and change in velocity at this later moment, and step by step you'll draw out the shape of the motion. (Within a few steps you'll understand why physicists use computers so frequently.)

I don't believe fnr15's memory is serving correctly here. You are on the right track but you need more sophisticated tools (namely vector calculus and differential equations) to describe the motion mathematically. For instance, the Lorentz force is written as
[tex] \vec{F}=q\vec{E}+q\vec{v}\times\vec{B} [/tex]

The situation you describe is actually used in the magnetron, the famous pulsed microwave source that powered radar during WW2 and that now powers your microwave oven. Take a look at Fig. 4 in
http://www.radartutorial.eu/08.transmitters/tx08.en.html"
which shows the motion of electrons between the negative inner conductor (cathode) and positive shell (anode), where the potential difference is usually on the order of 10kV. A magnetic field (oriented perpendicular to the paper) makes the electrons spiral.

Here's a picture of a magnetron like that used in GE microwave ovens
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/magnetron.html"

In addition to the simple fields you envisioned, a magnetron adds local RF fields in the cavities. You can read down the page to see how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, would the net force then constantly change because the particle does not have constant velocity? If so, would the motion of the particle be in a spiral?

1. Yes
2. Almost. There will be a net motion along the field between your capacitor plates, so the path can have loops.

I haven't worked this out exactly, but I think you can get either depending on the relative strengths of E and B.

1. What is a particle in constant electric and magnetic field?

A particle in constant electric and magnetic field is a charged particle that experiences both an electric force and a magnetic force due to the presence of a constant electric field and a constant magnetic field.

2. How does a particle behave in a constant electric and magnetic field?

A particle in constant electric and magnetic field will move in a curved path known as a helix. The radius of the helix depends on the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the mass and charge of the particle.

3. What is the equation for the motion of a particle in constant electric and magnetic field?

The equation of motion for a particle in constant electric and magnetic field is given by F = q(E + v x B), where F is the net force on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of a particle?

The electric field exerts a force on the charged particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the moving charged particle, causing it to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the field.

5. What is the significance of a particle in constant electric and magnetic field?

Particles in constant electric and magnetic field are important in many areas of physics, such as particle accelerators and plasma physics. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields, which has practical applications in technology and everyday life.