Humans can maybe create a universe

• Thread starter fournier17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, there is a concept called M-theory which suggests that our universe exists in 11-dimensional space and shares this space with other universes. It is theorized that it is possible to create a universe in a laboratory, similar to how our universe may have been created by a physicist in a parallel universe. This concept also raises questions about the possibility of life in other universes and the idea of a creator or "Original Physicist". However, there are still many unknowns in physics and the laws of the universe, making it difficult to simulate or create a universe with all its complexities and variables.
fournier17
I was watching a video on Dr. Michio Kaku's page regarding how M-theory was developed. Towards the end of the video, it was said that theoratically a universe could be created in a laboratory. This universe would not effect our universe it would simply bud off our universe, then expand to cosmic proportions. Here is a link to Dr. Kaku's page. The fourth video down (BBC: Parallel Universes) is the one I'm referring to.

http://www.mkaku.org/books-tv-film/video.html

So if M-theory is correct, and we do indeed live in a universe that exists in 11 dimensional space, which it shares with other universes. Then it is possible that there is life in these other universes. Now think about this, if physicists do eventually create a universe in a laboratory, maybe our universe was created by a physicist in a laboratory, in a parallel universe 15 billion years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
That's an interesting concept; it has a lot of implications. Perhaps there's a whole system of universes which were created by various life forms once they reached a certain level in their advancement. maybe it all can be traced back to an Original Physicist; or if you want to be straightforward, God. Even if it turns up nothing concrete, it still makes for great Science Fiction.

11-dimensional space is an outcome of the string theory being used in place of standard model

I don't know if any of you have seen the movie "Hyper Cube" but its a movie that they run on the sci-fy channel that has a similar concept about perpetual universes and quantom chaos.

im slightly confussed here and I am no expert in any of these fields but,

i always thought that the universe was infinite, therefore where do these parralell universe's exist other than in side our own, but surely this would then make them part of our universe?

please correct me if I'm wrong, which i probably am

Well the concept they are talking about says the universe is curved. Which also makes time travel possible.

so that would then mean that the universe is finite, and therefore has borders which would also allow for doppler shift and the expanding universe theory correct?

Yes. To say the universe is finite, imo, is an oxymoron.. like a lot things. Most of us are unable to fathom the size of the universe, but if it were possible then the universe would seem finite only in the present. But in the future it could be a lot larger. We will die off and the universe will keep expanding (thats why I think its an oxymoron, unless the universe has a life span - el oh el)

i wouldn't call the universe an oxymoron too loudly if i were you, it might object. but ok i see the point your making here but no matter how much it expands, surly the fact that its expanding implies that it is finite, as an infinite area has no borders and therefore can't expand

Heres a question: If we were able to create a computer program in which we programed nothing but the laws of physics would a universe like ours be formed, with planets and maybe even life?

David_Harkin said:
Heres a question: If we were able to create a computer program in which we programed nothing but the laws of physics would a universe like ours be formed, with planets and maybe even life?

I was working on a project similar to that. I wanted to create a universe within my computer. Though, I ignored the project to work on something else.

arevolutionist said:
I was working on a project similar to that. I wanted to create a universe within my computer. Though, I ignored the project to work on something else.

How hard do you think it would be to perfect and what fundamental rules would you use.

David_Harkin said:
How hard do you think it would be to perfect and what fundamental rules would you use.

Given that we don't have a theory of everything, then one cannot make a computer programme to simulate the universe in which we live, perfectly.

Last edited:
Very true, so do you think if we were to someday find the link between the 4 fundamental forces that is all we would need? And if it worked it might just give us some info on the universal constants, they may be different.

Last edited:
David_Harkin said:
Very true, so do you think if we were to someday find the link between the 4 fundamental forces that is all we would need? And if it worked it might just give us some info on the universal constants, they may be different.

Not really. For example, even if you can unify all the 4 forces, you still have no way to derive superconductivity, or other http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/97/1/28.pdf".

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
HeavenTornApart said:
i wouldn't call the universe an oxymoron too loudly if i were you, it might object. but ok i see the point your making here but no matter how much it expands, surly the fact that its expanding implies that it is finite, as an infinite area has no borders and therefore can't expand

This is not true. "Expansion" means that separation between two objects increase with time. There is no contradiction between expansion and infinite universe. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=132963.

Of course the universe could be finite without boundary. But to claim that it has to be finite based on the existence of expansion is not correct.

If you created the universe, saying you understand every variable that you have to program into the game/simulation, could it create individual consciousness?

raolduke said:
If you created the universe, saying you understand every variable that you have to program into the game/simulation, could it create individual consciousness?

Thats the point i am trying to make, would there be planets created with life on them? And if you were able to would it disregard any idea of a "God"

We would be their god. And if they were intelligent or if us as humans were stupid enough to let them know that we were their god then they would strive to become smart enough to find a way out of the box and ultimately become real - the problems of artificial intellegence

What do you mean we don't know the theory of everything? Feynman gave us the equation... it was something like U=0, where U is a sum of terms for all the physical laws known and yet to be discovered. jk. Really though without the knowledge of how/why the physics works (i.e. quantum statistics) we can not replicate it accuratly.

Guys I think you're taking it too far. The idea is very exciting but ultimately useless and it may even be technically unfeasible to simply create it at all, so let's all take a deep breath and calm down ;)

Entropy and holographs tells us that a 2D plain can contain data about a third dimension. A two dimensional plane is infinitely thin in the third dimension and can hold data equal to it's surface area so we can therefore actually contain infinite information in an area of two dimensions with finite area. Once we discover how to create a truly two dimensional surface we may be able to simulate the complexity of our universe and all it's laws. Perhaps this is how we have multiple universes? Perhaps not!

I agree that the word "universe" is probably not the best choice as it does imply "everything" but you all know what is meant. I hate getting tied up in deffinitions and spelling when the meaning is understood by all parties.

1. Can humans really create a universe?

While it is currently not possible for humans to create a universe from scratch, scientists are exploring the concept of creating a new universe within a simulated environment. This involves manipulating the fundamental laws of physics and simulating the conditions of a new universe.

2. How would humans go about creating a universe?

The process of creating a universe would involve advanced technology and a deep understanding of the laws of physics. It would require the ability to manipulate particles and energy on a massive scale, and the ability to control the expansion and evolution of the universe.

3. What are the potential risks of creating a universe?

Creating a universe is a highly speculative and theoretical concept, so the potential risks are difficult to determine. However, some scientists have raised concerns about the ethical implications of playing the role of a deity and the potential consequences of manipulating the fabric of reality.

4. How would creating a universe impact our own universe?

It is currently unknown how creating a new universe would impact our own. Some theories suggest that it could create a parallel universe or alternate reality, while others propose that it could have a ripple effect on the laws of physics in our own universe.

5. What are the implications of humans creating a universe?

The implications of humans creating a universe are vast and complex. It could potentially lead to advancements in technology, a deeper understanding of the laws of physics, and even shape our understanding of the origins of our own universe. However, it also raises philosophical and ethical questions about the role of humans in the universe and our responsibility as creators.