Parallel Resistance into Emitter Follower

In summary, the conversation discusses the parallel resistance seen by C1 in a circuit. The book states that the resistance seen by C1 is the parallel resistance of the resistance looking into the base and that of the voltage divider. The resistance looking into the base is calculated as (hfe x re) and the parallel resistance of R1 and R2 is added to it. This is because to an AC voltage, R1 and R2 appear to be in parallel due to the low impedance of the power supply. The conversation also touches on the irrelevance of DC in this scenario. There is confusion on how R1 and R2 can be seen as a parallel part of a parallel load by C1, but it is explained that for AC
Adder_Noir
Hi,

Please have a look at the following image:

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4008/parallelryl3.jpg"

I have a problem that the book states the resistance seen by C1 is the parallel resistance of the resistance looking into the base and that of the voltage divider. The resistance looking into the base is (hfe x re) in this case 750k. No problems there I understand how that one is derived.

I really don't get however how R1 and R2 are seen by the capacitor as a parallel resistance? The book evaluates R1 and R2 in parallel and then treats them as a single resistance. It then puts said resistance in parallel with the 750k.

I understand all that but from C1's perspective why is R1 included and how can it possibly see R1 and R2 as a parallel part of a parallel load?

Also does anyone know how to post up pictures instead of links?

I'm a bit of a dummy in electronics so please if you wouldn't mind keep the replies simple for my inadequate experience to understand :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To an AC voltage, which is the only thing that matters when considering C1, R1 and R2 appear to be in parallel. The power supply appears to be a low impedance to AC.

But this would not hold for DC right? Why does it hold for AC then. Sorry to ask what may sound a stupid question.

DC will not make it through the capacitor so it is irrelevant.

Averagesupernova, already said that it only matters to AC. What does a cap do to DC?

EDIT: a little slow on the response there.

Averagesupernova said:
DC will not make it through the capacitor so it is irrelevant.

I see that point thanks. In fact I just answered someone else's question eleswhere less than a few hours ago and myself pointed that out lol. Crazy how I forget stuff sometimes but I just have to do the best I can with my dodgy mind :rofl:

Ok so can you or anyone else explain why an AC current sees it as a parallel resitance? Doesn't a parallel resistance have to be equipotential across both resistances? R1 and R2 don't obey this rule at all.

There is a low impedance to AC between power supply + and power supply ground. Draw a capacitor in your diagram between the collector of Q1 and ground. See it now?

Averagesupernova said:
There is a low impedance to AC between power supply + and power supply ground. Draw a capacitor in your diagram between the collector of Q1 and ground. See it now?

To be honest no but I'll go and do some work on that concept now and see if I can grasp it. You guys are just too damn clever, how you can interpret these diagrams so easily I just don't know :confused:

You guys are just too damn clever, how you can interpret these diagrams so easily I just don't know

Cuz we've been at it for a while. :smile:

A voltage source has a very low impedance, that means it acts like a short (meaning just a piece of wire) for DC and AC voltages.

That means electrons can flow right through a battery as if it has 0 resistance, only to be pushed again.

Having said that, just look at the voltage divider and the coupling capacitor. First replace the power source of the voltage divider by a short, or a piece of wire. By introducing AC through the capacitor, the AC sees only two resistors R1 and R2 as being tied down together in parallel.

Hope that helps.

waht said:
A voltage source has a very low impedance, that means it acts like a short (meaning just a piece of wire) for DC and AC voltages.

That means electrons can flow right through a battery as if it has 0 resistance, only to be pushed again.

Having said that, just look at the voltage divider and the coupling capacitor. First replace the power source of the voltage divider by a short, or a piece of wire. By introducing AC through the capacitor, the AC sees only two resistors R1 and R2 as being tied down together in parallel.

Hope that helps.

To be honest I still don't get it. I'll have another look today and see if I can get any closer. Thanks for the reply :wink:

I'm still stuck. Is there any other way I can look at it?

1. What is parallel resistance in an emitter follower?

Parallel resistance in an emitter follower refers to the multiple resistors connected in parallel in the circuit. This type of configuration helps to reduce the overall resistance and improve the current flow in the circuit.

2. How does parallel resistance affect the output voltage in an emitter follower?

Parallel resistance in an emitter follower has a minimal effect on the output voltage. The output voltage will remain relatively constant, as long as the input voltage and load resistance remain constant. However, if the parallel resistance is significantly larger than the load resistance, it can cause a drop in the output voltage.

3. What is the purpose of using parallel resistance in an emitter follower circuit?

The main purpose of using parallel resistance in an emitter follower is to reduce the overall resistance in the circuit. This allows for a larger current flow and better regulation of the output voltage. Additionally, it helps to improve the stability and linearity of the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel emitter follower circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel emitter follower circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, ... Rn are the individual resistances. Alternatively, you can use a parallel resistance calculator or a multimeter to measure the total resistance.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using parallel resistance in an emitter follower?

One potential drawback of using parallel resistance in an emitter follower is that it can increase the power dissipation in the circuit. This can lead to heating issues and affect the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, if the parallel resistors are not properly matched, it can cause imbalances and affect the stability of the circuit.