A little fluid statics question

In summary, the question is whether both "jets" going out from the center need to be accounted for when calculating the force required to hold the dish in place. The concern is that there may be two forces in the negative x direction due to the water jet. Additionally, there is a question about the net change in momentum considering the two jets and the "main" pipe.
Dafe
4-1.jpg

When finding the force required to hold the dish in place, do I have to take account for both of the "jets" going out from center?

I mean, there will be two forces in the negative x direction because of the water jet right?

I hope the question is clear enough :redface:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dafe said:
4-1.jpg

When finding the force required to hold the dish in place, do I have to take account for both of the "jets" going out from center?

I mean, there will be two forces in the negative x direction because of the water jet right?

What's the net change in momentum due to all the streams? There's 2 from the jets, but what about the "main" pipe?

Last edited:

Yes, when finding the force required to hold the dish in place, you do have to take into account both of the jets going out from the center. This is because each jet will exert a force in the negative x direction, and these forces will add together to determine the total force required to hold the dish in place. It is important to consider all the forces acting on an object in order to accurately determine the net force and ensure that the object remains in equilibrium. I hope this helps clarify your question.

What is fluid statics?

Fluid statics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with fluids at rest and the forces acting on them.

What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container, such as liquids and gases.

What does "static" mean in fluid statics?

"Static" refers to the fact that the fluid is not in motion, but rather at rest.

What is the significance of studying fluid statics?

Fluid statics is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and dams. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

What are some examples of fluid statics in everyday life?

Examples of fluid statics in everyday life include the water in a swimming pool, the air in a balloon, and the gas in a soda can. It also plays a role in hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and elevators.