How can I convert R to units of ft•lbf/lbmol•°R?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the task is to convert the gas constant, R, from its given units of J/mol•°C to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R. The provided data is R = 8.31451 J/mol•°C. The equation 1 J = 0.22481 lbf is known, but the conversion of ft and lb is unclear. The confusion arises from the use of lbmol instead of just mol. It should also be noted that 1 N = 0.22481 lbf, not 1 J. Additionally, the unit conversion handouts provided include information on tricky units such as lbmol, which is a mole in SI units equal to 1 gram mole, and
rootX

Homework Statement

"convert the gas constant, R, into units of ft•lbf/lbmol•°R.
Data: R = 8.31451 J/mol•°C.
"

Homework Equations

I know 1 J = 0.22481 lbf

but what's R, and how they can get ft and lb in there?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that exactly how the question is given? I'm confused by lbmol... shouldn't it just be mol ?

Also,

1 N = 0.22481 lbf, not 1 J.

yes, I just copy pasted from that assignment(given to us in a word document)
I think it is then lb mol

These are some tricky units. A regular mole in SI units = 1 gram mole. 1 K = 1.8 R. R is rankine a scale of temperature.

Thanks a lot!

yesterday, I forgot to see the unit conversion handouts provided, and these were in there.

1. What is the conversion factor from R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R?

The conversion factor from R (Rankine) to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R (foot pound-force per pound-mole per degree Rankine) is 1 ft•lbf/lbmol•°R = 1.8 R. This means that to convert a value in R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R, you simply need to multiply it by 1.8.

2. How is the unit ft•lbf/lbmol•°R used in scientific calculations?

Ft•lbf/lbmol•°R is a unit commonly used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to measure energy, specifically in relation to temperature. It is often used to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain number of degrees Rankine.

3. Can the conversion from R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R be applied to any substance?

Yes, the conversion from R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R can be applied to any substance as long as the temperature is in Rankine. This unit conversion is independent of the substance being measured and is solely based on the temperature scale being used.

4. How does the conversion from R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R relate to the conversion from Kelvin to Joules?

The conversion from R to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R is similar to the conversion from Kelvin to Joules in that both involve a change in temperature. However, the units ft•lbf/lbmol•°R and Kelvin measure different types of energy. Ft•lbf/lbmol•°R measures thermal energy while Joules measure mechanical or kinetic energy.

5. Are there any other units that are equivalent to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R?

Yes, there are other units that are equivalent to ft•lbf/lbmol•°R, such as Btu/lb•°R (British thermal unit per pound per degree Rankine). Both units are used to measure thermal energy per unit mass and are equivalent to each other. The choice of which unit to use may depend on the specific application or preference of the scientist.