Integration by Parts: Solve 8x^{3}\ln\!\left(x\right)

In summary, the conversation was about solving the integral \int{ 8x^{3}\ln\!\left(x\right) \, dx} using Integration by Parts. The participants discussed their attempts at solving the problem and shared advice on how to approach it, including tips such as using LIPET (logarithms, inverse trig, polynomial, exponential, trig) to determine which function should be used for u and which for dv.
lgen0290
The teacher kinda skipped over this and expects us to know how to do it. Being I can't understand what he is saying, I'm kinda lost, so I missed how to do the whole u, du thing.

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]\int{ 8x^{3}\ln\!\left(x\right) \, dx}[/tex] using Integration by Parts.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would u by [tex]8x^{3}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you pick u= 8x^3? What's you reasoning behind that choice?

I am not sure. I picked it as it seemed to be easiest to derive the derivative from.

It is easy to differentiate, but the problem is that ln(x) is kinda hard to integrate, so I wouldn't let that be dv. Try letting u = ln(x) and see if you can get to an answer.

The only problem is I don't do where to go once I get u, du, v and dv. Is it like substitution or?

[tex]I=uv-\int vdu[/tex]

Last edited:
rocophysics said:
[tex]I=uv-\int udv[/tex]

This formula is incorrect. It should read:

[tex]I=uv-\int vdu[/tex]

Under the integral, you should have vdu, not udv.

Anyway, once you have u,v,du,dv, you can use the above formula. It will be equivalent to the integral given to you.

G01 said:
This formula is incorrect. It should read:

[tex]I=uv-\int vdu[/tex]

Under the integral, you should have vdu, not udv.

Anyway, once you have u,v,du,dv, you can use the above formula. It will be equivalent to the integral given to you.
Crap, my bad.

[tex]\int u dv=uv-\int vdu[/tex]

[tex]\int 8x^3\ln x dx=8(\frac{x^4}{4}\ln x-\int \frac{x^4}{4}\cdot\frac{1}{x}dx)=x^4(2\ln x-\frac{1}{2})+C[\tex]

[tex] u=\ln x[/tex]
[tex]v'=x^3[/tex]
[tex]u'=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{x^4}{4}[/tex]

Last edited:
Fermio, is there any point in just doing the problem yourself rather than letting Igen0290 try it after the suggestions?

fermio said:
[tex]\int u dv=uv-\int vdu[/tex]

[tex]\int 8x^3\ln x dx=8(\frac{x^4}{4}\ln x-\int \frac{x^4}{4}\cdot\frac{1}{x}dx)=x^4(2\ln x-\frac{1}{2})+C[\tex]

[tex] u=\ln x[/tex]
[tex]v'=x^3[/tex]
[tex]u'=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{x^4}{4}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Fermio, is there any point in just doing the problem yourself rather than letting Igen0290 try it after the suggestions?

Yes, fermio, what was the point of doing the problem for someone else? It is very easy to just give an answer, and it does not provide actual help to the OP. Yes, they get the answer, but do they understand? Do they actually learn how to solve problems of that type independently? Also, when you post a complete solution like that, you negate the help we were trying to provide to the student. Please think before you post a complete solution next time.

Can someone explain it please? How do you determine which is u and which is dv?

We were taught to use LIPET -- logarithms, inverse trig, polynomial, exponential, trig. Take u to be something on the left and dv something on the right.

It's on wikipedia's page for integreation by parts too, though a bit different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts#The_ILATE_rule

The exact order doesn't really matter; just know to pick a logarithmic or inverse trig function for u rather than a polynomial.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the product rule of derivatives to solve for the original integral.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral contains a product of functions, one of which can be easily integrated while the other can be easily differentiated. It is also useful when the integral involves logarithmic, trigonometric, or exponential functions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral and du and dv are their derivatives.

4. How do I apply integration by parts to solve 8x^{3}\ln\!\left(x\right)?

To solve 8x^{3}\ln\!\left(x\right) using integration by parts, we first choose u = ln(x) and dv = 8x^{3}. Then, we can find du and v by taking the derivatives and integrals, respectively. Plugging these values into the integration by parts formula, we get ∫ln(x) 8x^{3} = x^{4}ln(x) - ∫x^{3} dx. This can then be simplified and solved for the original integral.

5. Are there any tips for using integration by parts?

One tip for using integration by parts is to choose u and dv in a way that will simplify the integral as much as possible. This may require some trial and error or manipulation of the original integral. Additionally, make sure to check your work by differentiating the final result to ensure it matches the original integrand.