How is Aeronautical Eng as Career?

In summary, to be an aerospace engineer you need a physics degree and a good GPA. You may be able to get financial help if you have a good GRE score.
SuperStringboy
How is Aeronautical Eng as Career? i am an under grad student of physics (major). If i get GPA 3 or 3.1 then can i study at Msc Aero eng ? How should be my GRE score to get admission at a medium school? Can i get financial help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aeronautical/aerospace engineering is basically applied Newtonian mechanics. As a physics major, you most likely have quite a bit of coursework that is of limited applicability to aeronautical/aerospace engineering (i.e. quantum physics). I also suspect you are lacking in some areas critical to aeronautical/aerospace engineering, such as an advanced thermodynamics, guidance, navigation, and control theory, modal analyses.

The above was not intended to discourage you. I have an undergraduate physics degree and work as an aerospace engineer. A graduate student in aerospace engineering worked for my employer last summer, and his undergrad degree is in physics. He worked for me, in fact. So, it can be done.

I don't know about GRE scores of financial aid, but a 3.0/3.1 GPA is a bit too low for the top schools. The middle tier, which is what you talked about, are a good possibility. It will help if you have something going for you other than your GPA. Did you work on any undergraduate physics projects? Look to do that if you still can, and volunteer to be the lead. Do you have any outside interests, particularly anything that smacks of leadership roles? These extras will help you land a spot in a graduate program. They will also help you land a job later.

Thanks D H.

I have not completed undergraduate study yet. I am not from USA. Grading system is new to us. So question pattern are still old and its hard to get very good marks and I don't think i will be able to get more than 3.3 .But i will try my best for GPA and also for GRE. I have seen a ranking for aerospace here:
http://latestuniversityranking.blogspot.com/2008/01/aerospace-engineering-program-rankings.html

Can i enter the Universities ranking from 16 ( i mean Colorado and next universities in the list)?I found that. For the MS course they want background aero,science or mathematics.

Last edited:

1. What is aeronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, avionics, propulsion systems, materials science, and other related fields.

2. What skills are needed for a career in aeronautical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in aeronautical engineering include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking skills, creativity, technical and computer skills, and attention to detail. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on complex projects with a team.

3. What are the job prospects for aeronautical engineers?

The job prospects for aeronautical engineers are generally positive, as the demand for air travel and the development of new aircraft and spacecraft continue to grow. Aeronautical engineers can work in various industries, including aerospace and defense, civil aviation, and space exploration. With the right qualifications and experience, aeronautical engineers can have a diverse range of job opportunities and potential for career growth.

4. What education and training are required for a career in aeronautical engineering?

To become an aeronautical engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering or a related field such as aerospace engineering. Some employers may also require a master's degree for more advanced roles. In addition to formal education, practical experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial.

5. What are the challenges of working in aeronautical engineering?

As with any engineering field, aeronautical engineering can be a challenging career path. It requires a high level of technical knowledge, attention to detail, and the ability to solve complex problems. The industry is also highly regulated, and engineers must adhere to strict safety and design standards. Additionally, working on projects that involve cutting-edge technology and materials can also present unique challenges.