Rod and Angular Acceleration [SOLVED]

In summary, we have a uniform rod AB of length 2a and mass m, with a particle of mass 1/2m attached to point B. The rod is smoothly hinged at point A to a fixed point, allowing it to rotate freely in a vertical plane. When released from rest with AB horizontal, the rod rotates through an angle of pi/3. The moment of inertia of the rod about one end is 4/3 * ma^2, and the moment of inertia of the particle about that end is 2 * ma^2, giving a total moment of inertia of 10/3 * ma^2. By considering the torques due to the weight of the rod and the weight of the particle
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] Rod...and angular acceleration

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB, of length 2a and mass m, has a particle of mass 1
2m attached to B. The rod is
smoothly hinged at A to a fixed point and can rotate without resistance in a vertical plane. It is released
from rest with AB horizontal. Find, in terms of a and g, the angular acceleration of the rod when it
has rotated through an angle of [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that the torque due to the weight and the mass is the net torque and that should be the same as [itex]I \alpha[/itex] where I=moment of inertia of the entire thing.

I got [itex]I=\frac{10ma^2}{3}[/itex] but I don't know how to incorporate that angle it is rotated through.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rock.freak667,

How did you find the moment of inertia? It looks like you used that the moment of inertia of the particle is 2 m a^2, but I don't think that is correct. (Is the mass of the particle 2m? If so, there is an extra 1 in your post.)

To find the angular acceleration, draw a diagram when it's at that angle, and use the formula (net torque = I alpha) that you mentioned. From the diagram you can calculate the torques at that particular angle.

The MOI through the centre is given by [itex]I_c=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/itex]

so for the rod in question, the MOI would be (through the centre)

[tex]I_c=\frac{1}{12}(mg+\frac{mg}{2})(2a)^2=\frac{1}{2}mga^2[/tex]

and then by the parallel axis theorem to get the MOI about the end.

[tex]I=I_c+Mr^2[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}mga^2 + (mg+\frac{mg}{2})(a)^2=2mga^2[/tex]

is that correct moment of inertia about the end?

And I typed part of the question wrong. It should read

A uniform rod AB, of length 2a and mass m, has a particle of mass [itex]\frac{1}{2}m[/itex] attached to B.

Last edited:
What's the moment of inertia of a rod about one end? Of the particle about that end? Add them.

(The moment of inertia depends on mass distribution not weight, so g should not appear.)

Doc Al said:
What's the moment of inertia of a rod about one end? Of the particle about that end? Add them.

(The moment of inertia depends on mass distribution not weight, so g should not appear.)

ok well then. Using the parallel axis theorem

[tex]I=\frac{1}{12}m(2a)^2+ma^2=\frac{4}{3}ma^2[/tex]

and then adding the MOI of the mass(=[itex]\frac{m}{2}(2a)^2=2ma^2[/itex]

then

[tex]I_{total}=\frac{4}{3}ma^2+2ma^2=\frac{10ma^2}{3}[/tex]

So then when I draw the forces at that angle (weight of rod+weight of the mass at B) of [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]. How would I get the torque at that angle? Would it just be the total torque*sine of the angle?

rock.freak667 said:
ok well then. Using the parallel axis theorem

[tex]I=\frac{1}{12}m(2a)^2+ma^2=\frac{4}{3}ma^2[/tex]

and then adding the MOI of the mass(=[itex]\frac{m}{2}(2a)^2=2ma^2[/itex]

then

[tex]I_{total}=\frac{4}{3}ma^2+2ma^2=\frac{10ma^2}{3}[/tex]
Perfect.

So then when I draw the forces at that angle (weight of rod+weight of the mass at B) of [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]. How would I get the torque at that angle? Would it just be the total torque*sine of the angle?
You can find the torque due to each weight separately and add them up:
[tex]\tau = \vec{r}\times\vec{W} = rW\sin\theta[/tex]

Torque due to Weight of rod=mgasin(pi/3)=[itex]\frac{mga\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
Torque due to weight of mass=(mg/2)(2a)sin(pi/3)=[itex]\frac{mga\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]

Total torque = [itex]mga\sqrt{3}[/itex]

so that

[tex]I_{total} \alpha=mga\sqrt{3} \Rightarrow \alpha=\frac{mga\sqrt{3}}{I_{total}}[/tex]

are the torques correct?

Looks good!

Doc Al said:
Looks good!

Apparently not...I found that the answer is really [tex]\alpha= \frac{3g}{10a}[/tex]

and I get

[tex]\alpha=\frac{9\sqrt{3}g}{20a}[/tex]

Let me look it over one more time.

I see the problem.
Doc Al said:
You can find the torque due to each weight separately and add them up:
[tex]\tau = \vec{r}\times\vec{W} = rW\sin\theta[/tex]
In the above expression for torque, [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{W}[/itex], which is not [itex]\pi/3[/itex] but its complement.
rock.freak667 said:
Torque due to Weight of rod=mgasin(pi/3)=[itex]\frac{mga\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
Torque due to weight of mass=(mg/2)(2a)sin(pi/3)=[itex]\frac{mga\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
I must have been asleep at the wheel and assumed you were taking the sine of the correct angle. Sorry about that! :redface:

Correct that and you'll get the expected answer.

ahhh..thanks..my diagram was wrong...I pit pi/3 between the rod and the hinge as the complement...thank you!

1. What is the difference between rod and angular acceleration?

Rod acceleration refers to the change in linear velocity of a rod, while angular acceleration refers to the change in angular velocity of a rotating object.

2. How do you calculate rod and angular acceleration?

Rod acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in linear velocity by the change in time. Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

3. What factors affect rod and angular acceleration?

The mass, length, and shape of the rod can affect its acceleration. For angular acceleration, factors such as the moment of inertia and the torque applied to the object can also affect its acceleration.

4. What is the unit of measurement for rod and angular acceleration?

Rod acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

5. How are rod and angular acceleration related?

Rod and angular acceleration are related through the equation a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that the linear acceleration of a point on a rotating object is directly proportional to its distance from the axis of rotation and the angular acceleration of the object.