Load bearing structure made of matchsticks

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to distribute the weight of a computer monitor across a structure made of matchsticks. He doesn't know how to do it himself, and is asking for help. He suggests that the weight be distributed to the top joints beneath the monitor support so that the members will only receive axial loads.
grey

Homework Statement

Ok, i have a small (optional) project, to design a load bearing structure made of matchsticks. The structure must be able to withstand the load a computer monitor (i have a 17" one).

Homework Equations

Now, the problem i am facing is how would the force (of gravity due to the mass of the monitor be distributed across the matchstick structure?
Note that, i intend to make use of 'matchstick trusses' (only two force members), with 'pin joints' (actually strings binding the match sticks).

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually totally clueless about this, as the problems i had encountered in high school assumed that all the weight acted through the centre of mass, which i don't think would be a valid assumption given the apparent non uniform distribution in the monitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok...i know i wasn't much specific, but anyone?

maybe to elaborate a little, i want to find the transmission of forces at the monitor-structure interface.
Am i right to assume that the weight actually does act thru the centre of mass (approx) and then find the reaction of supports thru moments at each point of contact?

I don't know what your monitor (or truss) looks like, but my monitor is a flat 17 " screen supported on a round base about 9" in diameter, and it's load is supported pretty much uniformly at the base. In any case, in determining support reactions on your truss, you can do this by placing the monitor weight at the center of mass of the monitor, and determine the reactions by the static equiilibrium equations. However, in determining member forces, you should distribute the weight to the top joints beneath the monitor support as concentrated loads at those joints. You probably don't have to worry about truss member bending in between the joints since the monitor base is much more rigid than any individual truss member, so you still will only get axial loads in your members.

thanks a lot!
actually mines not a LCD, or any of the new types...its big and heavy, but i do get your point!

Thanks again!

1. How much weight can a load bearing structure made of matchsticks hold?

The weight that a load bearing structure made of matchsticks can hold depends on several factors, such as the type of matchsticks used, the design and construction of the structure, and the quality of the matchstick joints. In general, a well-built structure can hold up to several pounds of weight.

2. What is the best way to ensure the stability of a load bearing structure made of matchsticks?

The best way to ensure the stability of a load bearing structure made of matchsticks is to use a strong and stable base, evenly distribute the weight on the structure, and use sturdy matchstick joints. It is also important to carefully plan and design the structure before construction.

3. Can a load bearing structure made of matchsticks withstand external forces such as wind or earthquakes?

Due to the fragility of matchsticks, a load bearing structure made of matchsticks may not be able to withstand strong external forces such as wind or earthquakes. However, using thicker and stronger matchsticks and reinforcing the structure with additional support can improve its resistance to external forces.

4. How long can a load bearing structure made of matchsticks last?

The lifespan of a load bearing structure made of matchsticks depends on the quality of the matchsticks used, the construction methods, and the environmental conditions. With proper care and maintenance, a well-built structure can last for several months to a few years.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a load bearing structure made of matchsticks?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a load bearing structure made of matchsticks. These include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working on a stable surface, and using caution when handling tools such as scissors or knives. It is also important to keep flammable materials away from the construction area and to have adult supervision if children are involved in the building process.