Achieving -40 to -50 Degrees Celsius: Solutions & Alternatives

In summary, you can use a dewar of liquid nitrogen to suspend your sample and then adjust the distance to hit the target temperature.
airwalkery2k
Hi,
I am doing some undergraduate work in Sweden, and for one of my tests, I need to place a material at -40 to about -50 degrees Celsius for a short period of time for thermal cycling. Unfortunately, my access to equipment is rather limited here

The current method we're using is just wrapping it in a cloth and dripping liquid nitrogen onto it until the thermocouple inside the cloth says -40 C. Rather unscientific, if I do say so myself. So we're trying to come up with a quick and simple solution, as buying the proper lab freezer around here would take much longer than I have time to wait for.

A few others and I have thought up a way to use our liquid nitrogen in another way, basically creating an insulated container for the liquid nitrogen and placing the samples in another compartment near the nitrogen at a place our thermocouple says is -40 to -50 Celsius.

Is there a better way to attain -40 to -50 degrees Celsius?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pour a sizeable quantity of Ln2 is a thermos sized dewar. Suspend your mateiral with attached thermocouple on a string and suspend it above the surface of the Ln2, adjust the distance (height above the surface), until you hit your target temp.

seycyrus said:
Pour a sizeable quantity of Ln2 is a thermos sized dewar. Suspend your mateiral with attached thermocouple on a string and suspend it above the surface of the Ln2, adjust the distance (height above the surface), until you hit your target temp.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Dewars are pretty cheap and easy to get.

You will want to use a low temperature bath in a dewar. You should use acetonitrile/N2 for -41C. Dry ice/acetonitrile will give you -42C. m-Xylene/N2 will give you -47C. Cyclohexanone/dry ice will give you -46C.
Pick one.

Be sure that you use enough cold stuff (N2 or CO2) to freeze the solvent but not so much that you will freeze all of the solvent. As long as there is a mixture of frozen solvent and liquid solvent, the temperature will hover pretty close to the reported freezing point.

1. What is the purpose of achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius?

The purpose of achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius is to create an environment suitable for storing or preserving certain materials or samples that require extremely low temperatures. This is commonly used in scientific research, pharmaceuticals, and food preservation.

2. What are some solutions for achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius?

There are a few solutions for achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius. One option is to use liquid nitrogen or dry ice, which can reach these temperatures easily. Another solution is to use specialized freezers or refrigerators that are designed to reach and maintain these low temperatures. Cryogenic gases, such as helium or hydrogen, can also be used to achieve these temperatures.

3. What are the alternatives to achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius?

If achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius is not feasible or necessary, there are alternative temperature ranges that can be used for preservation and storage. For example, temperatures of -20 to -30 degrees Celsius can also be effective for storing certain materials or samples. Additionally, using chemical preservatives or vacuum sealing can be alternatives for long-term storage.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when working with temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius. These temperatures can be extremely cold and can cause frostbite or damage to skin and tissue. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to handle materials or samples with caution. Proper ventilation should also be in place when working with cryogenic gases.

5. What are some common uses for achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius in scientific research?

Achieving temperatures of -40 to -50 degrees Celsius is commonly used in scientific research for various purposes. Some common uses include preserving biological samples, such as cells or tissues, for future studies or experiments. It is also used in chromatography and other analytical techniques to separate and analyze different compounds. In addition, these temperatures are important in cryopreservation, which is the process of freezing and storing biological materials for extended periods of time.