I want to build and design weapons, what to major in?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to become a weapons engineer and what major would be best for this career. Suggestions include a combination of computer science and digital arts for rendering animations for films, philosophy for understanding war and its motives, mechanical and electrical engineering for designing weapons, physics for interesting work, and mechatronics for a well-rounded background. The conversation also touches on the responsibility that comes with working in the weapons industry and the importance of considering the potential consequences of such work.
gerry73191
Have any of you seen Iron Man?

My dream is to be something of a Tony Stark. A weapons engineer. Forget all the super hero stuff, I would like to design weapons. Talk softly but carry a big stick and if you want to maintain peace, make sure your stick is bigger than anyone elses.

My question is...what should I major in?

Likes eric turner
Physics news on Phys.org
You could take a combination of computer science and digital arts and learn how to make rendered animations for Hollywood feature films.

Or you could take philosophy to see that war in general is only about making greedy people more wealthy.

Um if I am sure, and I have never googled this but my best guess would be something like Mechanical engineering and Electrical Engineering.

Crosson said:
Or you could take philosophy to see that war in general is only about making greedy people more wealthy.

This is the best quote I have read! It is so true as well...

well see. I don't want war. I hate war.

But I believe the best way to prevent war is to have the best weapons.

gerry, if you want my advice. Go into robotics, although it has potential use for war and fighting it still seems in a way more interesting. More challenging that is.

I agree with ME and EE.

I also think having some sort of background in robotics would help in creativity.

Q: What's the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?
A: Mechanical engineers build weapons; civil engineers build targets. :wink:

Electrical, mechanical, chemical, materials, aerospace engineers are all good for that.

What specifically you want to work on would dictate what path, I would say. Do you like to do programming for missile trajectory? Play around with satellite/GPS targeting and whatnot technologies? Actually manufacture the design or structure for said weapons? Come up with a new platform for weapons? Etc

Physics.

No question. The people who do the most interesting work at my site all studied physics.

Get a masters. Forget the PhD for weapons work. A BS in Physics and a masters in one of the engineering arts seems to be a good combination.

Last edited:
A degree in mechatronics would suit you perfectly, with a minor in computer science if posible.

"well see. I don't want war. I hate war.

But I believe the best way to prevent war is to have the best weapons. "

And how is it that the last twenty years haven't convinced you that this point of view is flawed?

gerry73191 said:
well see. I don't want war. I hate war.

But I believe the best way to prevent war is to have the best weapons.
Ostensibly, the US has the best weapons. Unfortunately, the US has an administration which feels compelled to use those weapons against weaker nations. :rolleyes:

As others have indicated, physics, and various engineering disciplines (EE, AeroE, MechE, Materials E) cover various aspects of weapons design.

I think history has shown us that it's not so simple to come up with a relationship between "peace" (itself a nebulous term, as the boundary between a "warlord" and a "crime boss" is not hard and fast) and weapons technology. There are also unintended consequences - precision munitions were developed to target combatants hiding under cover of non-combatants: a response has been for the combatants to move even closer to non-combatants.

That said, I think that getting one's ideas on the day-to-day life of any profession from comic books is probably inaccurate. The life of an engineer working on weapons could well be very different than imagined.

BioCore said:
Um if I am sure, and I have never googled this but my best guess would be something like Mechanical engineering and Electrical Engineering.

most modern weapons are built with a mechanical/physics background with electronic controls.

I am currently studying electromechanical engineering which is both mechanical and electrical engineering... We deal a lot with motors and controls, microprocessors, other computer chips, mechanics of materials, and heavy dynamics which all can be applied very deeply to weapons systems... on one of my projects we designed an autonomous helicopter...

very good for studying weapons... the only problem is that there are only a few schools in the country that offer electromechanical... i study at wentworth institute of technology in Boston. check it out.

ps. remember... with great knowledge, comes great responsibility!

gerry73191 said:
Have any of you seen Iron Man?

My dream is to be something of a Tony Stark. A weapons engineer. Forget all the super hero stuff, I would like to design weapons. Talk softly but carry a big stick and if you want to maintain peace, make sure your stick is bigger than anyone elses.

My question is...what should I major in?

gerry, Take a look at the Army Research Lab, Naval Research Lab and Air Force Research Lab. They have web sites that will highlight their research programs, allowing you to see the backgrounds of the various participants.

What part of the country are you from?

Ok first of all you must decide on a family of weapons you'd like to master.

I can give you some headsup on this one:

Boats and navyrelated tech: Naval architecture

Materials, propellants and NBC-protection: Chemical engineering/chemistry

Rocketry and artillery: Aeronautical engieering, mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering and mechatronics.

Combat vechicles (MBTs, APCs etc M-series of vehicles in the american armed forces): Elec eng, mech eng, mechatronics.

There are a couple of more familys of weapons, browse wikipedia at your discretion.

Simulation: Physics with computational science.

[Morals] My education is actually very highly suited for a multitude of weapon systems, sweden is also a highly productive export-country in the weaponsmarket, we have at times been selling weapons not only to the highest bidder but also to both sides in the conflict (india-pakistan is the only example I can get in a minutes notice). The perfect combination for weapon-systems is mainly chemistry with a lot of physics and a little less computational science. The one I got, many from my university work for the weapons industry. I won't. I actually want to be proud of my work and feel that it's productive for the betterment of mankind. Designing impenetrable materials for the arms industry isn't that. Besides I would totally lose it, If I designed a weaponsystem that was used against civilians. I would rage and probably cry a bit like I never cried before. I am not a big idealist and "crusader", but when it comes to weapon-systems that is not for personal protection, I draw the line. If you can live with killing innocent civilians in some godforsaken country in the developed world, so go ahead, I won't judge you, I actually helped you out. I just wanted to say how I feel about the weapons industry, since I am targeted by them because of my education, and have had to think through the consequences.[/morals]

I guess I am one of the few people here who actually has built bombs. I worked on the 'bunker-buster' and guidance system development for autonomous munitiouns.

If you want to get a job designing weapons, you will have no trouble finding one (other than the time and effort required to obtain a security clearance). The turnover is rather high. Pretty much any skill is useful- mechanical, electrical, chemical, optical, computational... machining, soldering, you name it. I've seen some amazing things.

Andy Resnick said:
I guess I am one of the few people here who actually has built bombs. I worked on the 'bunker-buster' and guidance system development for autonomous munitiouns.

If you want to get a job designing weapons, you will have no trouble finding one (other than the time and effort required to obtain a security clearance). The turnover is rather high. Pretty much any skill is useful- mechanical, electrical, chemical, optical, computational... machining, soldering, you name it. I've seen some amazing things.

Why is the turnover so high? Is it stressful work, or does it not pay well?

Thanks so much for your advice.

btw...Im from the Northeastern part of the US.

and I'm not sure exactly what kind of weapons

[rationale]
I previously wanted to go into politics because I really believed in upholding the foundations of US Democracy and liberty however, I am not too fond of the scrutiny politicians face running for office, while in office, and after they leave office.

So after seeing Iron Man I figured. I can protect my country without going into the army and I don't have to be under such tight scrutiny by the media.

Im not sure where I stand though on weapons I design being used on innocents. Although I am opposed to killing innocents, I don't know if its justified doing so in the name of stopping a greater evil(aka big terrorist or belligerent country or something)

Couldn't you contribute something more positive that the whole world could benefit from?

gerry73191 said:
So after seeing Iron Man I figured. I can protect my country without going into the army and I don't have to be under such tight scrutiny by the media.

Do you have any interest/aptitude in science or did you just decide you want to build weapons after watching that movie?

You should probably note that Stan Lee created Iron Man in the 1960s as a way to explore the role of the United States weapon industry's role in the Cold War and not as a way to promote the Weapons industry. That being said, if you really want to be true to the comic, Tony Stark has a degree in electrical engineering. However, I strongly recommend against going into engineering unless you actually ENJOY it.

I want to build and design weapons, what to major in?

abnormal psychology?

Except for rouge asteroids, I see no point in new weapons.

No, I actually love science especially physics. I pretty good for my school anyway in Mathematics. I was able to reach myself PreCalculus and go straight to Calculus. I know that's nothing special and thousands of people have done it before me, but its a point of pride because no one in my schools 50 year history has ever done so.

lol I really don't care much for the comic. It just hit me while watching the movie that weapons might be a good way to both protect my country and have some privacy. I really wanted to go into politics, but I hate the lack of privacy.

And yes I do enjoy engineering. I have been tinkering with stuff since I was like 6. I hacked my Xbox at the age of 11. Got my A+ comuter certification before freshman year of High school. Nothing special, but things I am proud of .

gerry73191 said:
And yes I do enjoy engineering. I have been tinkering with stuff since I was like 6. I hacked my Xbox at the age of 11. Got my A+ comuter certification before freshman year of High school. Nothing special, but things I am proud of .

Gerry, You can do lot's of military type work without having to work in weapons. Sensors, armor, Arc reactors etc...

Call up the physics/engineering depts. that are around the labs I listed. MD,VA,PA,NJ. I'm certain they have programs that collaborate.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think history has shown us that it's not so simple to come up with a relationship between "peace" (itself a nebulous term, as the boundary between a "warlord" and a "crime boss" is not hard and fast) and weapons technology. There are also unintended consequences - precision munitions were developed to target combatants hiding under cover of non-combatants: a response has been for the combatants to move even closer to non-combatants.

That said, I think that getting one's ideas on the day-to-day life of any profession from comic books is probably inaccurate. The life of an engineer working on weapons could well be very different than imagined.
There is a boom and bust cycle for military contractors, which depends obviously on the budget of the Defense department.

Note:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/16478058/detail.html
SAN FRANCISCO -- The nation's top nuclear weapons design lab has laid off hundreds of workers, raising concerns about a brain drain and stirring fears that some of these highly specialized scientists will sell their expertise to foreign governments, perhaps hostile ones.

Because of budget cuts and higher costs, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory laid off 440 employees May 22 and 23. Over the past 21/2 years, attrition and layoffs have reduced the work force of 8,000 by about 1,800 altogether.

Andy Resnick said:
Some bunker busters were manufactured at the Waterveliet Arsenal, where I visited recently. Really impressive stuff.

seycyrus makes a good point about the various research labs of the Army, Navy and Air Force. They do a lot of great research, besides weapons.

An alternative to weapons could be new energy forms, transportation, . . . . which have both military/civilian applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
gerry73191 said:
I would like to design weapons. Talk softly but carry a big stick and if you want to maintain peace, make sure your stick is bigger than anyone elses.

i too find the idea of killing peopel to be amusing. just kidding

I DONT WANT/LIKE KILLING PEOPLE

I believe the more powerful weapons their are in the hands of relatively just countries, the more peace there is.

If two countries have nukes do you think either would really want to start a fight that will end in Mutually Assured Destruction?
NO!

But If one country has a machine gun and the other has ICBMs? You bet your ass someday that country with a machine gun is going to wish they had ICBMs

I think you are receiving this kind of feedback because your original post made it sound as if your desire to become a weapons engineer is purely motivated by a subjective moral standpoint, rather than by actual intellectual curiosity towards the subject. So far, you have not actually stated what type of problems you are interested in working on. You've only made statements about fulfilling your sense of liberty and justice.

I personally have no problem with you wanting to become a weapons engineer. As long as war exists, I'd rather have intelligent people designing missiles that reduce the amount of civilian casualties instead of individuals who just want to blow stuff up. However, I'd also prefer someone who is actually inspired to work because of the challenge of creating effective weapons systems, rather than someone who is inspired by a dogmatic view of how to bring about world peace.

Im most inclined to rockets, but I am reluctant to specialize.

I want to have a broad understanding of weapons design in general. But then again, I don't want to build just bombs for the next 40 years.

Sure I'd like to design missiles, but I'd also like to work on making better armor or satellite technlogy.

In a way I really admire rennaisance(sp?) scientists because they didnt specialize.

Da Vinci made paitings, but worked for the military. Tried to make a flying machine, but also shoes to help him walk on water.

Im rather conflicted, but I do know that I want to spend the next 40 years protecting and improving my country.

Last edited:
Likes destroyer...
Maybe Robotics or Nanotechnology might also interest you with the views you have given us. Primarily because robots could be used to do human tasks (EXCEPT FOR KILLING - I'd hate to see an I Robot epidemic). Nanotechnology could be used to build better armor to protect soldiers and any other items.