Any way to get scientific journals for cheap?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a cheaper way to access the academic journals Nature and Science, which usually cost $200 per year. It is suggested that students can get a discounted subscription by indicating their university affiliation, or use the online access provided by their university for free. It is also mentioned that most universities have these journals in their collection and non-students can potentially access them through college libraries.
thewhills
I looking into maybe a subscription of Nature or Science...but they are like $200 a year...Any cheaper way to get them?
i am only a poor student :(

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're a student, at least with nature, be sure to say so, and put your university in. That way, the subscription reduces by half. But, since you're a student, why don't you just use the online access through your university for free?

If you're a student, shouldn't you already have access? Usually universities should be providing access to databases with scholarly journals. At least mine does.

Yes, it would be a rather unusual university not to have Science and Nature in their journals collection.

Even if you aren't a student, if there are any college campuses near you it's probably perfectly legit for you to go into the college library and use the facilities there.

1. Can I access scientific journals for free?

No, most scientific journals require a subscription or one-time payment to access their content. However, some journals do offer open access options for certain articles.

2. How can I get access to scientific journals without paying a high price?

You can try to access journals through your university or institution's library subscription. Many libraries offer access to a wide range of scientific journals for their students and faculty.

3. Are there any websites or platforms that offer discounted prices for scientific journals?

Yes, there are websites and platforms that offer discounted prices for individual articles or journal subscriptions. These include websites like ResearchGate, Academia.edu, and DeepDyve.

4. Can I negotiate the price of a scientific journal subscription?

In some cases, it may be possible to negotiate the price of a journal subscription with the publisher or through a library consortium. However, this may not always be successful and is dependent on various factors.

5. Are there any alternative ways to access scientific journals for cheap?

Some authors may choose to share their published articles on their personal websites or through online repositories like arXiv. You can also try networking with colleagues and researchers in your field to exchange articles or access journals through their subscriptions.