Congruence Class - Proof of a number divisble by 7

In summary, the conversation discusses various tricks to determine if a number is divisible by 3, 7, and 11. The focus is on proving that a positive integer N is divisible by 7 if and only if when a certain algorithm is applied to it, the result is either 7 or 0. The algorithm involves dropping the last digit, doubling it, and subtracting it from the remaining digits until the result is either 7 or 0. The conversation also mentions using induction to prove this, but it is ultimately shown that the algorithm is slightly different than the one initially proposed.
thejinx0r
Hey Guys,

My teacher left us to do the proofs for the tricks that tell us a number is divisible by 3, 7 and 11.

For 3 and 11, they were pretty straight forward since I knew the trick before hand. (a number is divisible by 3 if the sums of the digits are divisible by 3. or divisible by 11 if the sum of the alternating digits is divisible by 11.)

But for 7, I had one trick, but I have to prove it using another trick, which I'm a little less familiar with.
Prove that a positive integer [tex]N = n_kn_{k-1}...n_0[/tex] is divisible by 7 if and only if when we let
[tex]M = n_1 n_2 . . . n_k [/tex] we have [tex] M - 2 n_0[/tex] is divisible by 7.

Where n_k is the k'th digit of the number N.

The only I have written is the expansion of [tex] M - 2 n_0 = n_1 + 3 n_2 + 3^2 n_3 + ... + 3^{k-1} n_k [/tex]

The 3 comes from the fact that 10 == 3 mod 7.

I was going to do it by induction because you could have a really long number, such that you would have to do repeat the algorithm until you get a reasonable answer. But then I realized that it wouldn't matter since I could not prove that [tex] M - 2 n_0[/tex] was divisible by 7.

Physics news on Phys.org
## 3,189,572 \equiv 1 \mod 7 ##
##7\cdot 3,189,572 = 22,327,004 =:N##
##M= 72,322 - 2\cdot 4 = 72,314 \equiv 4 \neq 0 \mod 7##

The algorithm I have found is slightly different than yours:
  1. drop the last digit
  2. double this last digit
  3. subtract this number from the number which is left after dropping the last digit (no reverses!)
  4. if the difference is negative, drop the minus sign
  5. has the result more than one digit, repeat steps 1 to 4
  6. if we end up with ##7## or ##0##, then the number has been divisible by ##7##, otherwise not
\begin{align*}
N&=22,327,004 \\[6pt]
\longrightarrow \quad &2,232,700 - 8 =2,232,692\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 223,269-4 = 223,265\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 22,326-10=22,316\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 2,231-12=2,219\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 221-18=203\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 20-6=14\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 1-8=-7\\
\longrightarrow \quad & 7
\end{align*}

1. What is a congruence class?

A congruence class is a set of numbers that are equivalent to each other modulo a given number. In other words, they have the same remainder when divided by that number.

2. How is a number proved to be divisible by 7 using congruence classes?

A number can be proved to be divisible by 7 by showing that it belongs to a congruence class that contains numbers that are all divisible by 7. This can be done by finding a pattern in the last digit of the number when it is divided by 7.

3. What is the significance of proving a number to be divisible by 7?

Proving a number to be divisible by 7 is important in number theory and can be used in various mathematical applications. It also plays a role in checking the validity of certain mathematical operations.

4. Can any number be proved to be divisible by 7 using congruence classes?

Yes, any number can be proved to be divisible by 7 using congruence classes. However, the process may be more complex for larger numbers and may require the use of additional congruence classes.

5. Are there any other methods for proving a number to be divisible by 7?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a number to be divisible by 7, such as using divisibility rules or performing long division. However, using congruence classes is a more efficient and systematic approach.