Is Every Continuous Function on a Compact Subset of \mathbb{R}^n Bounded?

• Thread starter jjou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a nonempty subset K of \mathbb{R}^n, where n>1. The question is which of the following must be true: (I) If K is compact, then every continuous real-valued function defined on K is bounded, (II) If every continuous real-valued function defined on K is bounded, then K is compact, or (III) If K is compact, then K is connected. It is mentioned that (I) is true and (III) is not necessarily true. The conversation then focuses on proving (II) to be true. Various approaches are discussed, including using the definition of compactness and projection maps. In conclusion, the conversation
jjou
(Problem 62 from practice GRE math subject exam:) Let K be a nonempty subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], n>1. Which of the following must be true?

I. If K is compact, then every continuous real-valued function defined on K is bounded.
II. If every continuous real-valued function defined on K is bounded, then K is compact.
III. If K is compact, then K is connected.

I know (I) is true and (III) is not necessarily true. I'm working on (II), which the answer key says is true, but I can't seem to prove it. I tried using several versions of the definition of compactness:

Closed and bounded-
K is obviously bounded if you take the function f(x)=x. Then f(K)=K is bounded.
To show K is closed, I assumed it wasn't: there is some sequence [tex](x_n)\subseteq K[/tex] such that the sequence converges to a point c outside of K. Then the sequence [tex]f(x_n)\subseteq f(K)[/tex] must converge to some point d, not necessarily in f(K). I'm not sure where to go from there or what contradiction I am looking for.

Covers / finite subcovers-
Let [tex]\{U_i\}[/tex] be any open cover of K. Then [tex]\{f(U_i)\}[/tex] is a cover of f(K). What I'd like to do is somehow force a finite subset of [tex]\{f(U_i)\}[/tex] to be a cover of f(K) - possibly using the fact that f(K) is bounded - and thus find a finite subcover for K. The problem is that I don't know that I can find a subcover for f(K).

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The function f(x)=x isn't 'good', because it can't possibly be defined on K - K is a subset of R^n. To show that K is bounded, use the projection maps instead.

To show that K is closed, you can continue with what you're doing. Can you use the point c=(c_1,...,c_n) to define a continuous, but unbounded, real-valued function on K?

Last edited:
Just to clarify - when they say 'real-valued,' they mean the image is strictly in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], not simply in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]?

I wanted to use the function [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{|x-c|}[/tex] which is defined for x in K. This function would be unbounded, but is it still continuous?

-----------------------------------------------------
Please check -
To use the projection maps to show boundedness of K:

For each [tex]1\leq i\leq n[/tex], let [tex]f_i(x_1,...,x_n)=x_i[/tex]. Then define each [tex]K_i[/tex] to be such that [tex]f_i(K)\subset K_i\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Then [tex]K\subset K_1\times K_2\times...\times K_n[/tex] is bounded.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
jjou said:
Just to clarify - when they say 'real-valued,' they mean the image is strictly in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], not simply in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]?
Yes, real-valued means the image lives in in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

I wanted to use the function [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{|x-c|}[/tex] which is defined for x in K. This function would be unbounded, but is it still continuous?
Yup - it's a composition of two continuous maps (x -> 1/(x-c) and x -> |x|).

To use the projection maps to show boundedness of K:

For each [tex]1\leq i\leq n[/tex], let [tex]f_i(x_1,...,x_n)=x_i[/tex]. Then define each [tex]K_i[/tex] to be such that [tex]f_i(K)\subset K_i\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Then [tex]K\subset K_1\times K_2\times...\times K_n[/tex] is bounded.
Yes, that's fine. Although on second thought I'd just use the norm map instead of projections to prove that K is bounded.

Got it. Thanks so much! :)

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the smoothness of a function. It means that as the input of a function changes, the output changes in a predictable and gradual manner without any abrupt jumps or breaks.

2. How is continuity defined mathematically?

A function f is continuous at a point x if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a exists and is equal to f(a). In other words, the function is continuous at a point if the value of the function at that point is equal to the value of its limit at that point.

3. What is the significance of continuity?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of functions. It also enables us to use calculus to find derivatives and integrals, which are essential in many areas of science and engineering.

4. What is compactness?

Compactness is a property of topological spaces that describes their size and shape. A topological space is compact if every open cover (a collection of sets that cover the space) has a finite subcover (a finite collection of sets from the cover that still covers the space).

5. How is compactness related to continuity?

Compactness is closely related to continuity because continuous functions preserve compactness. This means that if a function is continuous and the domain is compact, then the range (output) will also be compact. This property is very useful in analysis and topology, as it allows us to study the properties of functions by looking at the properties of their domains and ranges.