Solve the Differential Equation: A(x)u'' + A'(x)u' + u/A(x) = 0

In summary: I'm not sure if this is the right approach, or if there is a better way to solve this equation.In summary, the student attempted to solve for the constants c and q in order to solve for the function A(x) in a second-order differential equation. However, they forgot a sign in the equation and were not successful. They then found a solution through substitution, but the final equation remained unknown. If the student were to solve for A(x) using the solutions u_{1} and u_{2}, they would find that B is a constant.
buffordboy23

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation:

[tex] A\left(x\right)\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} + A'\left(x\right)\frac{du}{dx} + \frac{1}{A\left(x\right)}u = 0 [/tex]

where

[tex] u\left(x\right) = exp\left(c\int^{x}A\left(x'\right)^{q}dx'\right) [/tex]

for some contants c and q.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substitution to obtain the constants c and q and also tried solving for A(x). I did not post my work since I don't even know if the approach is correct. I never saw a problem like this. The textbook does not offer any assistance, nor could I find anything on the internet. I do know that there should be two linear independent functions since it is a second-order equation. Any hints on solving the problem or suggestion of topics to research to help solve the problem would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it helps to express u'' and u' in terms of u...

I did. That is what I meant by saying I tried substitution.

[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = -cA\left(x\right)^{q}u\left(x\right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} = -cqA\left(x\right)^{q-1}A'\left(x\right)u\left(x\right) + \left[cA\left(x\right)^{q}\right]^{2}u\left(x\right) [/tex]

Last edited:
You can cancel the u's then... maybe it helps using AqA'=(Aq+1)' (I neglected constant factors)...however there is still the A2q+1...

First, I forgot a sign in u(x) of the original problem statement. It should be

[tex]
u\left(x\right) = exp\left(-c\int^{x}A\left(x\right)^{q}dx\right)
[/tex]

My first and second derivatives of u w.r.t x are correct though. So, I substituted these into the equation, and the u(x) terms easily cancel out. After some manipulating, I get

[tex] c^{2}A^{2\left(q+1\right)}-c\left(q+1\right)A^{q+1}A'+1=0 [/tex]

where A is A(x) and A' is A'(x) from earlier. I then chose q = -1, which leads to c = i. So,

[tex]
u_{1}\left(x\right) = exp\left(-i\int^{x}\frac{dx'}{A\left(x'\right)}\right)
[/tex]

If you choose [tex] u_{2}\left(x\right) = u_{1}\left(x\right)h\left(x\right) [/tex] and then manipulate the equation through substitution, I found that

[tex] u_{2}\left(x\right) = Bexp\left(-i\int^{x}\frac{dx'}{A\left(x'\right)}\right) \left[\int^{x}exp\left(2i\int^{x'}\frac{dx''}{A\left(x''\right)}\right)\frac{dx'}{A\left(x'\right)}\right] [/tex]

where B is some constant. So, u(x) is just a linear combination of these two solutions for some coefficient function A(x).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains a function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change, or how the function is changing over time.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model real-world phenomena in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. By solving these equations, we can predict how a system will behave and make informed decisions.

3. What methods can be used to solve a differential equation?

There are several methods that can be used to solve differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The method chosen depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

4. Can differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, some differential equations have multiple solutions. This can happen when the equation is not well-defined or when there are multiple initial conditions. It is important to check for uniqueness when solving differential equations.

5. How do I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check if a solution to a differential equation is correct, you can substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can check if it satisfies any initial or boundary conditions given in the problem.