Conversion from CO2 to Air flowrates

• Thread starter redargon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Co2
In summary, the application is engineering, and the user is trying to figure out a conversion factor to convert SL/min (air) to SL/min (CO2). They tried ratios of densities and also molar masses, but they don't get a result that looks reasonable.
redargon
I'm not sure under which section this should go, but the application is engineering. I have a calibration problem that I'm trying to figure out:

I have a digital flowmeter that measures the flowrate of air and gives a SL/min (litres/minute at stansard conditions) value. The thing is I want to measure the flowrate of CO2 with that same device (it takes too long to acquire one that is set up for CO2). Is there a conversion factor I can use to convert SL/min (air) into SL/min (CO2)?

I tried ratios of densities and also molar masses, but I don't get a result that looks reasonable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A density ratio really should work: CO2 is denser than air, so it should give readings higher than actual.

Should be:

F2 = F1 * (S1/S2).5

Where:

F1 = Flowrate measured by device
F2 = Actual flow rate
S1 = Specific gravity flow meter is calibrated for
S2 = Specific gravity of gas going through meter

For example. You measure 100 SL/min on your meter which is calibrated for air. Specific gravity for air is 1. Specific gravity of CO2 is 1.57. Actual flow is 80.9 SL/min.

Edit for clarification:
The flow meter is calibrated for air at a specific temperature and pressure. The above assumes it's calibrated for standard conditions.

Also, the above could also be rewritten using densities for the gasses instead of specific gravity. Just replace density for S1 and S2 since specific gravity is nothing more than the ratio of density to air at standard conditions.

Last edited:
Q_Goest said:
Should be:

F2 = F1 * (S1/S2).5

Where:

F1 = Flowrate measured by device
F2 = Actual flow rate
S1 = Specific gravity flow meter is calibrated for
S2 = Specific gravity of gas going through meter

For example. You measure 100 SL/min on your meter which is calibrated for air. Specific gravity for air is 1. Specific gravity of CO2 is 1.57. Actual flow is 80.9 SL/min.

Edit for clarification:
The flow meter is calibrated for air at a specific temperature and pressure. The above assumes it's calibrated for standard conditions.

Also, the above could also be rewritten using densities for the gasses instead of specific gravity. Just replace density for S1 and S2 since specific gravity is nothing more than the ratio of density to air at standard conditions.

Ok, that's what I got too. I knew I was on the right path. The experimental data I have so far is telling me (comparing the digital air flow meter to a float gauge CO2 flow meter) that the conversion factor is closer to 1.2, but I attribute this to the temperature and pressure. The CO2 is from a small cartridge and cools considerably as it expands, also th pressure to drive the flow is around 1 barg. Ok, I think I can find something, or at least get a close enough estimate. I should probably consider compressibility factors.

Thanks, as always, for the quick and thorough replies.

Is there a mistake in the calculation?

F2 = 100 * (1/1.57)^.5 = 79.80

so F2 does not equal 80.9?

1. How is CO2 converted to air flow rate?

CO2 can be converted to air flow rate by using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of the gas, at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. What factors influence the conversion from CO2 to air flow rate?

The conversion from CO2 to air flow rate is influenced by the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas, as well as the molar mass of CO2 and the desired air flow rate.

3. Why is it important to convert CO2 to air flow rate?

Converting CO2 to air flow rate is important in many industries, such as HVAC systems, where accurate measurements of air flow are necessary for proper ventilation and energy efficiency. It also allows for the monitoring and control of CO2 levels in enclosed spaces.

4. What are the units of measurement for CO2 and air flow rate?

CO2 is typically measured in parts per million (ppm) or percentage (%), while air flow rate is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or cubic meters per hour (m3/h).

5. Can the conversion from CO2 to air flow rate be done for any gas?

Yes, the conversion can be done for any gas using the ideal gas law and the appropriate units of measurement. However, the molar mass of the gas must be known in order to accurately convert from CO2 to air flow rate.