Calculating Water Flow: Comparing GPM Measurements for Different Methods"

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in measuring the water flow on the header using a flowmeter versus measuring it by directing the water into a deposit and calculating the GPM based on the volume and elapsed time. The speaker is also looking for a table that shows the equivalent length of pipe for different types of nozzle arrangements in order to determine the discharge coefficient. A helpful source is provided as a potential resource for this information.
capterdi
I´m wanting to somehow demonstrate that if we measure the water flow on the header according to squetch for “Case 1” (see attached PDF) using a flowmeter previously installed, we are not going to get the same number for the GPM as if we proceed according to squetch for “Case 2”, where in order to “spare the cost of a flowmeter”, we disconnect the hose, direct the water flow into a deposit, and measure time elapsed via a stopwatch. Here, according to the volume of the deposit, and the elapsed time, we calculate the GPM. If we are discharging to the atmosphere we are getting rid of the losses that represent the nozzle, which has a number of holes drilled on it´s top plate. So I was wondering if there is a table somewhere on the net which would show the “equivalent lengh of pipe” for different kind of nozzle arrangements.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Ilustra medición flujo.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 262
Engineering news on Phys.org
capterdi said:
I´m wanting to somehow demonstrate that if we measure the water flow on the header according to squetch for “Case 1” (see attached PDF) using a flowmeter previously installed, we are not going to get the same number for the GPM as if we proceed according to squetch for “Case 2”, where in order to “spare the cost of a flowmeter”, we disconnect the hose, direct the water flow into a deposit, and measure time elapsed via a stopwatch. Here, according to the volume of the deposit, and the elapsed time, we calculate the GPM. If we are discharging to the atmosphere we are getting rid of the losses that represent the nozzle, which has a number of holes drilled on it´s top plate. So I was wondering if there is a table somewhere on the net which would show the “equivalent lengh of pipe” for different kind of nozzle arrangements.

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You want to calculate the flowrate of the water in case 2 by measuring the time it takes to fill the container? Or, you're trying to calculate the flowrate in case 1 by using the method in case 2 and need to know the discharge coefficient for various nozzles?

CS

stewartcs said:
I'm not sure what you are asking. You want to calculate the flowrate of the water in case 2 by measuring the time it takes to fill the container? Or, you're trying to calculate the flowrate in case 1 by using the method in case 2 and need to know the discharge coefficient for various nozzles?

CS

What I would like to know is the discharge coefficient for various types of nozzles.

Thank you.

capterdi said:
What I would like to know is the discharge coefficient for various types of nozzles.

Thank you.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/orifice-nozzle-venturi-d_590.html

Half way down the page under the section labeled Nozzles. It gives various values and cites the source which will give you even more information on what to use (presuming you can access that source).

Hope this helps.

CS

CS,

OK. I´ll take a look to that source and see what I find.

Thanks.

1. How do you calculate water flow?

To calculate water flow, you need to know the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which the water is flowing, and the velocity of the water. Multiply the area by the velocity to get the flow rate.

2. What units are used to measure water flow?

Water flow is typically measured in cubic feet per second (cfs) or cubic meters per second (cms). However, other units such as gallons per minute (gpm) or liters per second (l/s) may also be used.

3. How does the viscosity of water affect flow calculations?

The viscosity of water (or any fluid) affects the frictional resistance to flow. Higher viscosity means more resistance, which results in a lower flow rate. However, for most practical applications, the viscosity of water is relatively constant and can be ignored in flow calculations.

4. Can the shape of a pipe or channel affect water flow calculations?

Yes, the shape of a pipe or channel can significantly affect water flow calculations. For example, a wider and shallower channel will have a higher flow rate compared to a narrower and deeper channel with the same cross-sectional area.

5. What factors can cause variations in water flow calculations?

Variations in water flow calculations can be caused by changes in the cross-sectional area, velocity, temperature, and pressure of the water. Other factors such as sediment buildup, pipe or channel roughness, and changes in elevation can also affect flow calculations.