Motion in a central potential

In summary, the minimal speed required for a stone to start orbiting the Earth is 7.91 km/s, while the minimal speed required for the stone to fly off to infinity will be greater than this value.
adjklx

Homework Statement

What minimal speed do you need to throw a stone with so that it starts orbiting the Earth? What minimal speed do you need to throw a stone with so that it flies off to infinity (forgetting about the Sun)?

Homework Equations

The motion of the stone takes place in an effective potential [tex]U_{eff} = \frac{M^2}{2m_{stone}r^2} - \frac{Gm_{earth} m_{stone}}{r}[/tex] Where M is the angular momentum of the stone and r is the radial coordinate in polar coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for the stone to orbit the Earth it needs to have an energy that is negative but also greater than the effective potential and that in order for it to go off to infinity it needs to have an energy greater than zero.

I was thinking that since the stone is coming from earth, we look at where the effective potential crosses the r-axis and which radial speed, [tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex], makes the energy just below zero and which makes it just above zero at that particular point. My reason for thinking this is that this will be the closet point at which the stone can branch off and either remain bounded or fly off to infinity. I don't feel very confident though and I had a lot of trouble trying to start this problem. If anyone can give me some pointers or kind of nudge me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question. I am happy to assist you in finding the answers you are looking for.

To determine the minimal speed required for a stone to start orbiting the Earth, we can use the equation for orbital speed, v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the stone and the center of the Earth. In this case, we can set r equal to the radius of the Earth (6,371 km).

Plugging in the values, we get v = √(6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2 x 5.97x10^24 kg / 6,371,000 m) = 7.91 km/s. This is the minimal speed required for the stone to start orbiting the Earth.

To determine the minimal speed required for the stone to fly off to infinity, we can use the equation for escape velocity, v = √(2GM/r). In this case, we can set r equal to the distance between the stone and the surface of the Earth (6,371 km + radius of the stone).

Plugging in the values, we get v = √(2x6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2 x 5.97x10^24 kg / (6,371,000 m + radius of the stone)). The radius of the stone is not specified in the question, so we cannot give an exact answer. However, we can see that the minimal speed required to fly off to infinity will be greater than the speed required for orbiting the Earth.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Good luck!

1. What is motion in a central potential?

Motion in a central potential refers to the movement of an object or particle under the influence of a central force, meaning a force that acts towards a fixed point or center. This type of motion can be described using Newton's laws of motion and is commonly seen in celestial bodies such as planets orbiting around a star.

2. How is motion in a central potential different from other types of motion?

Unlike other types of motion, such as linear motion or circular motion, motion in a central potential involves a force that is directed towards a fixed point or center. This results in a curved or elliptical path rather than a straight line or circular orbit.

3. What factors influence the motion in a central potential?

The motion in a central potential is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the central force, the mass of the object or particle, and the initial velocity and position of the object. These factors determine the shape and size of the path the object will take.

4. How is energy conserved in motion in a central potential?

In motion in a central potential, the total energy of the object remains constant. This is because the central force is a conservative force, meaning it does not dissipate energy. As the object moves closer to or farther from the center, its potential energy may change, but its kinetic energy will also change in the opposite direction, resulting in a constant total energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion in a central potential?

Motion in a central potential occurs in many natural phenomena, such as the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of a satellite around a planet, and the swinging of a pendulum. It can also be observed in man-made systems, such as the motion of electrons around the nucleus of an atom or the motion of a spacecraft in orbit around the Earth.