Spherical mirror, shortest longest focal length

In summary: I would call the negative values extraneous.In summary, the conversation discussed a physics homework problem involving a spherical mirror without the paraxial approximation. The goal was to find the maximum and minimum values of the focal length for a given radius and arc length. The conversation also touched on the possibility of negative focal lengths and the solution ultimately involved using the maximum value of 7.5 cm and the minimum value of -91.0262 cm. However, there was some confusion regarding the interpretation of the negative focal length and the problem itself was criticized for its inclusion of extraneous values.
Yroyathon
hi again. i totally rocked my physics homework this week, except for this last one.

Homework Statement

Consider a spherical mirror without making the paraxial approximation (Fig. 36-47, attached as a file). When a ray parallel to the axis makes an angle θ with the radius R at the point of contact, then f, the distance at which the ray crosses the axis, is given by the following.

f = R* (1 - (1 / (2*cosθ)))

Calculate the spread in values of f for a spherical mirror of radius 0.15 m and arc length 45 cm.
Shortest focal length ? cm
Longest focal length ? cm

Homework Equations

maybe s=r*θ

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not totally clear on what's going on in this problem. i thought it's just a bunch of parallel rays going right and bouncing off the mirror and creating lots of different focal points. and then we just want the biggest and smallest.

so for θ, i figured that the angle between the radius (which I converted to cm) and the base line is also equal to θ. is this right?

then i used s=r * θ , and got θ = 3 radians for this particular radius and arclen. so I figured i should consider values of θ between -3/2 and 3/2, that is, so that the range is 3 radians long and split evenly between positive and negative.

plugging these values into the equation for f, i thought I was just supposed to look for the biggest and smallest values of f. but this didn't get me right answers, so... can't be that simple.

any tips for what to try next? or just conceptual help if my interpretation isn't right?

Thanks a lot.
,Yroyathon

Attachments

• 36-47.gif
    36-47.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach seems correct. So what values did you get for f (max & min)?

Another possibility: perhaps "mirror of radius 0.15 m" refers to the actual size of the mirror, rather than the radius of curvature.

Your argument seems ok so far. What is the maximum and minimum f you got? I think they should be 7.5cm and 0cm respectively. For [tex]\theta>\pi/3\approx 1.05[/tex], the formula yields a -ve f. What that means is that the reflected beam will meet the axis behind the mirror. It the beam is unobstructed, it will hit the mirror once more before meeting the axis somewhere in front of the mirror, resulting in a +ve f.

the first time I tried 7.5 cm min, and 22.5 cm max. both were wrong.

second time i tried 0 cm min and 91.0262 cm max. both were wrong.

i don't have my notes here, but i'll comment again tomorrow after I've tried to incorporate what you've commented.

but given my values of what's wrong, feel free to further comment if these bad figures are helpful.

thanks!

7.5 cm works for θ=0, R=15 cm

However, something is wrong. When you plug in 1.5 radians, you should get something other than what you are saying. Can you show your calculation for the 1.5 radians case?

still haven't gotten this one. but here are the two graphs of that function that I'm considering. from -1.5 to 1.5 for theta values, and from 0 to 3 for theta values.

thoughts?

well, I'm pretty much out of time anyway, but i'd be interested in what you folks thinks.

thanks much.

,Yroyathon

Attachments

• graph-1.5to1.5.gif
    graph-1.5to1.5.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 567
  • graph0to3.gif
    graph0to3.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 588
nevermind, i just got it.

apparently f_max was 7.5 (as the one graph shows), and the min is literally the -91.0262. it was my impression that this negative focal length should just be turned into a pos length, but i guess the problem literally wanted the max and min vals of this function over that specific domain? huh.

thanks for the help everybody, this place is awesome.

You're welcome, glad you got it to work out.

But I take issue with whoever came up with this problem. As wywong pointed out, the rays would simply reflect from the mirror a 2nd time, and intersect at some point of positive focal length.

1. What is a spherical mirror?

A spherical mirror is a reflective surface that is shaped like a portion of a sphere. It can be either convex or concave in shape.

2. What is the shortest focal length of a spherical mirror?

The shortest focal length of a spherical mirror is the distance between the mirror and its focal point when the mirror is convex. This focal length is equal to half the radius of curvature of the mirror.

3. What is the longest focal length of a spherical mirror?

The longest focal length of a spherical mirror is the distance between the mirror and its focal point when the mirror is concave. This focal length is equal to the radius of curvature of the mirror.

4. How does the shape of a spherical mirror affect its focal length?

The shape of a spherical mirror determines whether it is convex or concave, which in turn affects the focal length. A convex mirror has a shorter focal length, while a concave mirror has a longer focal length.

5. What is the significance of the shortest and longest focal lengths of a spherical mirror?

The shortest and longest focal lengths of a spherical mirror determine the magnification and image formation of the mirror. A shorter focal length results in a larger magnification and a closer image, while a longer focal length results in a smaller magnification and a further image.