Solving LaGrange Multipliers for Closest Points to Origin on xy+yz+zx=3

In summary, the problem of finding the points on the surface xy+yz+zx=3 that are closest to the origin can be solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers. The given identity of (x+y+z)^2=x^2+y^2+z^2+2(xy+yz+zx) can be used to prove that x+y+z is not equal to 0 for any point on the surface. To find the closest points, a system of four equations in x, y, z, and λ can be derived. The first part of the problem is not necessary to solve the system, but it can be used to simplify the equations. The final solution will result in x=y, proving that x+y+z cannot
wilcofan3

Homework Statement

Consider the problem of finding the points on the surface [tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex] that are closest to the origin.

1) Use the identity [tex](x+y+z)^2=x^2+y^2+z^2+2(xy+yz+zx)[/tex] to prove that [tex]x+y+z[/tex] is not equal to 0 for any point on the given surface.

2) Use the method of Lagrange multipliers to find a system of four equations in [tex]x,y,z[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] whose solutions will give the closest points.

3) Find the points on [tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex] that are closest to the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless on what to do for the 1st part (although I imagine it's actually something simple), but I think I have the second part down. Problem is, I think I probably need to use the 1st part for the 3rd somehow.

For the second part, I found the system of four equations to be:

[tex]2x=\lambda(y+z)[/tex]
[tex]2y=\lambda(x+z)[/tex]
[tex]2z=\lambda(x+y)[/tex]
[tex]xy+yz+zx=3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1: HINT - Use the fact that for any point on the surface xy + yz + xz = 3

For part 3: HINT - Add the left sides of the first three equations and their right sides to make a new equation (then use part 1)

wilcofan3 said:
Problem is, I think I probably need to use the 1st part for the 3rd somehow.
You can use the first part, even if you don't know why the first part is true. :tongue:

By the way, part 3 is just a system of equations, solve it the way you normally would. The first part doesn't really affect that -- all ithe first part does is let you make a simplification along the way.

Hurkyl said:
You can use the first part, even if you don't know why the first part is true. :tongue:

By the way, part 3 is just a system of equations, solve it the way you normally would. The first part doesn't really affect that -- all ithe first part does is let you make a simplification along the way.

I feel so stupid, I'm failing at solving this simple system, yet I am pretty sure I know what I'm going to end up with. I'm sure it will be something like [tex] x+y=-z[/tex] that I end up with, because than that would say [tex]x+y+z=0[/tex] which isn't true, which proves that [tex]x=y[/tex].

EDIT: Nevermind, it's solved. I don't know why I was blanking on solving the system.

Last edited:

1. How do LaGrange multipliers help solve for closest points to the origin?

LaGrange multipliers are used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. In this case, we are using them to find the closest points to the origin on the surface defined by the equation xy + yz + zx = 3.

2. What is the mathematical concept behind solving for closest points to the origin using LaGrange multipliers?

The concept behind using LaGrange multipliers is to set up a system of equations that simultaneously satisfy the original function (in this case, xy + yz + zx = 3) and the constraint function (in this case, the distance from the origin). This allows us to find the values of x, y, and z that will minimize the distance from the origin, thus giving us the closest points.

3. Why is it important to use LaGrange multipliers for this problem?

Using LaGrange multipliers allows us to find a solution that satisfies both the original function and the constraint function, rather than just optimizing one of them. This ensures that we are finding the closest points to the origin that also satisfy the given equation, rather than just minimizing the distance from the origin.

4. What are the steps involved in solving for closest points to the origin using LaGrange multipliers?

The steps involved include setting up the system of equations using the original function and the constraint function, solving for the values of x, y, and z using the LaGrange multipliers method, and then plugging those values back into the original function to find the closest points to the origin.

5. Are there any limitations to using LaGrange multipliers for this problem?

One limitation is that this method may not always result in a unique solution. Depending on the original function and the constraint function, there may be multiple points that satisfy the given equation and are equally close to the origin. In addition, this method can become more complex and difficult to solve for higher dimensional problems.