I got a topic to research Recommended preparatory reading?

The main goal is to calculate the effect of electron-positron pairs on the quantum state of a photon. This can be done analytically by studying relativistic quantum mechanics and solving the eigenvalue problem for the photon's Hamiltonian. Greiner's book on relativistic quantum mechanics is recommended as preparatory reading.
bjnartowt
I got a topic to research! Recommended preparatory reading?

I have been invited to write a proposal for researching this:

>> The basic idea is to calculate, in first approximation,
the effect of electron-positron pairs on the quantum state
of a photon. You will need to study some relativistic
quantum mechanics, calculate the electron-positron-pair
creation contribution to the photon Hamiltonian, and then
solve the eigenvalue problem for the state of the photon.
All can be done analytically and parallels a similar
calculation for the state of the electron. The analysis
will become part of a larger calculation (not for summer
but for later) that is numerical and could be a thesis topic. <<

However, I only know Griffiths ch. 1-4, a little bit of 5, and ch. 6, some electrodynamics (enough to be able to read and understand up to Jackson Ch. 5), and Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Any recommended reading for gently bringing myself to understand relativistic quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org

I recommend Greiner's book "relativistic quantum mechanics - wave equation"

It should be enough for this task

Congratulations on receiving a topic to research! It sounds like a challenging and interesting project. In order to prepare for your research, I would recommend starting with some introductory texts on relativistic quantum mechanics. One good resource is "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics" by James D. Bjorken and Sidney D. Drell. This book covers the basic concepts and mathematical tools needed for understanding the effects of relativity on quantum systems. Another helpful resource is "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. This book provides a clear and concise introduction to relativistic quantum mechanics, as well as its applications in particle physics. Additionally, I would suggest exploring online resources such as video lectures and online courses on the topic. Good luck with your research!

1. What is preparatory reading?

Preparatory reading refers to the process of researching and familiarizing oneself with a topic before conducting a formal research project. This can include reading relevant literature, articles, and other sources to gain background knowledge and understanding.

2. Why is preparatory reading important?

Preparatory reading is important because it allows the researcher to gain a better understanding of the topic they will be researching. It also helps to identify any existing research and potential gaps in the current knowledge, which can inform the direction and focus of the research project.

3. How do I choose which sources to read for preparatory reading?

The sources you choose to read for preparatory reading should be relevant to your research topic and provide valuable insights and information. Look for credible sources, such as peer-reviewed articles, academic books, and reputable websites.

4. How much time should I dedicate to preparatory reading?

The amount of time you should dedicate to preparatory reading will vary depending on the complexity of your research topic and the amount of existing literature. It is recommended to dedicate a significant amount of time to preparatory reading to ensure thorough understanding and informed research.

5. Can I skip preparatory reading and go straight to conducting my research?

It is not recommended to skip preparatory reading as it can greatly impact the quality and validity of your research. Preparatory reading allows you to build a solid foundation of knowledge and understanding, which will lead to a more successful research project.