Can Power of a Number Indicates Dimensions ?

In summary: To sum up, the conversation discusses the idea of using the power of a number to indicate its dimension. This only works for certain numbers, such as 2, where the power corresponds to the dimension. However, this concept does not work for all numbers and cannot be applied to decimals or irrational numbers. The concept of dimension is then further defined as the number of equal prime factors in a number, but this definition also has limitations. Ultimately, this idea does not align with traditional geometric concepts and may not have much practical use.
Antonio Lao
Can Power of a Number Indicates Dimensions ?

When we raise a number to certain power, does the result indicates or tells about its dimension? So that for each integer value there is a dimension exclusively associated with each number.

Obviously, this will not work for the number 1. But for number 2, it works nicely.

[itex]2^0 = 1, 2^1 = 2, 2^2 = 4, 2^3 = 8, 2^4 = 16, ...[/itex]. This tells us that the number 1 is the only number that can be in any dimension while the number 2 is basically one dimensional. The number 4 is basically two dimensional. The number 8 is basically three dimensional, the number 16 is basically four dimensional, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is (√2)2, what is 42?

The indice of a unit often tells you something about the 'dimensions' of a quantity, but the vale says nothing.

Last edited:
jcsd,

The notation square root of 2 to the power 2 is just another notation for the number 2 which is one dimensional. 4 to the power 2 is the same as 2 to the 4th power and the number 16 has dimension of 4.

The integer 1 is multi-dimensional, 2 is 1 dim, 3 is 1-dim, 4 is 2 dim, 5 is 1 dim, 6 is 1 dim, 7 is 1 dim, 8 is 3 dim, 9 is 2 dim, etc.

It seems that all prime numbers are one dimensional numbers.

It really doesn't mean anything at all thoug, quantities such as area can take on any real values.

Antonio,

2^n is the number of subsets you can from a set of n elements. Possibly you are grasping an intuition of this fact, and mistakenly confusing it with the concept of dimension.

The 2^n idea was used to define transfinite numbers time ago by getting a generalization of the inequality 2^n > n . A pending question from early XXth century mathematics is if there is some infinite number between a0 and 2^a0, being a0 the countable infinite of natural numbers.

jcsd said:
It really doesn't mean anything at all thoug, quantities such as area can take on any real values.

Can we just restrict the number to integer values? Or quantum values? Without decimals and hence not dealing with irrationals and transcendental numbers.

Antonio Lao said:
It seems that all prime numbers are one dimensional numbers.
Ah, this is a different concept. Are you calling d(n)="number of prime factors of n"? Or D(n)="number of divisors of n"? It does not matter a lot, because obviously d(n)=<D(n)=<2^d(n).

The collection of numbers having d(n)=2 is very important for cryptography, so I am pretty sure they have been studied deeply. The collection d(n)=1 is of course the set of prime numbers as you have said. I am not aware of interest for d(n)>2

Arivero,

I will get back with you with my reply. My warning is that I am not good at math.

arivero,

I think, what I'm saying is that I am defining dimension as the number of equal prime factors. Obviously, this would not work for the number 6. I guess, 6 is the product of two primes (2 and 3). So I really can't say anything about the dimension of the number 6. Between 1 and 9, with the exception of 6, there are 4 one-dimensional number: 1,2,5,7. There are 2 two-dimensional number: 4, 9. There is only one three-dimensional number: 8. Again, the number 10 would have the same problem as 6. Can't tell anything about the dimension of 10. But 11 is one-dimensional. 12 is also a problem. 13 is one dimensional. 14 is problem. 15 is problem. 16 is four dimensional. 17 is one dimensional. 18 is problem. 19 is one dimensional. 20 is problem. 21 is problem. The next three dimensional number would be the number 27.

Hmm. I do not forsee how to attach this concept to the usual ones of geometry.

Btw 72 is a hell of problem for your view.

arivero said:
Btw 72 is a hell of problem for your view.

I don't understand? Could you explain a little bit more.

Normally we just call these things; 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, ... "prime powers".

Hurkyl,

You lost me there.

1. What is the power of a number?

The power of a number is the number of times the base number is multiplied by itself. For example, in the expression 23, the power is 3, indicating that the number 2 is multiplied by itself 3 times.

2. How does the power of a number indicate dimensions?

The power of a number can be used to indicate dimensions because it represents the number of times a unit is multiplied by itself. For example, in the expression 52, the power of 2 indicates that the number 5 is multiplied by itself twice, which can represent the dimensions of a 2-dimensional object.

3. Can any number be raised to any power?

Yes, any number can be raised to any power. However, some numbers may result in infinite or undefined values when raised to certain powers.

4. How can the power of a number be used in scientific calculations?

The power of a number is commonly used in scientific calculations to represent repeated multiplication, such as in exponential functions and logarithms. It is also used in dimensional analysis to convert between units of measurement.

5. Does the power of a number always result in a larger number?

No, the power of a number does not always result in a larger number. If the power is a negative or fractional value, the result may be a smaller number. Additionally, any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.