German Universities for International Students - Science PhDs

In summary: I agree completely with you. But what good is it to have a "hot" subject that you can't smell from a distance. Aren't you better to choose a subject where you are passionate, eventhough not the "hottest" subject around. This way, you might not have to have a recommendation letter to say how good you are, because you will be able to prove it from the knowledge you gain.
NoobixCube
Hey all,
I am just writing to see if anyone has any thoughts on well repsected German universities that have a lot of international students attending them.

Any thoughts, just post them up.

I am looking at doing a PhD in a Science related field

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Go for Munich. I don't know anything about their university, but they have something wonderful, called the Hofbräuhaus. If I would have to restart my studies, this is one of the place I would definitely consider. Yeah!

To be a bit more serious, I believe you need to look at what field interest you, and then the choice can be quite simple. I am a firm believer that with passion for a subject, you don't need a "good" university, because you will learn it with passion. This is what makes a good scientist stand out from the bunch, and not the school attended.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
I am a firm believer that with passion for a subject, you don't need a "good" university, because you will learn it with passion. This is what makes a good scientist stand out from the bunch, and not the school attended.

The sole aim of a choice of University is not to learn the material. That, you can even do on your own (with a bit of help from PF :wink: ). The aim of the choice of a good university (especially for research work) is that you will work on a hot topic, with "names" in the field, and that you will end up with interesting letters of recommendation. The choice of university is a social network step (besides being a way to learn as well as possible, the relevant material).
(unfortunately, many learn that only later - like me...)

That doesn't mean that going to a non-hot-shot university (of the moment) in the field kills irreversibly your career, but it will have an influence. You might be just as bright as the guy or girl that has been the student of Professor WellKnownGuy, you will have more difficulties getting in somewhere than with his letter (or his phone call, or his adress book). You can still make your way, but it will be harder, slower, and riskier.

vanesch said:
The aim of the choice of a good university (especially for research work) is that you will work on a hot topic, with "names" in the field, and that you will end up with interesting letters of recommendation.

I agree completely with you. But what good is it to have a "hot" subject that you can't smell from a distance. Aren't you better to choose a subject where you are passionate, eventhough not the "hottest" subject around. This way, you might not have to have a recommendation letter to say how good you are, because you will be able to prove it from the knowledge you gain.

Cheers

1. What are the requirements for international students to apply for a science PhD program at a German university?

International students must have a recognized Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant field, as well as a strong academic record and proficiency in the English or German language. Some programs may also require specific entrance exams or research proposals.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a science PhD at a German university?

The average duration for a science PhD program in Germany is around 3-4 years. However, this can vary depending on the specific field of study and individual research progress.

3. Are there any scholarships or funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a science PhD in Germany?

Yes, there are several scholarships and funding options available for international students, such as the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) and various research institutions and organizations. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

4. Can international students work while pursuing a science PhD at a German university?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while studying in Germany. However, it is important to check the specific regulations and restrictions for your student visa and program.

5. What are the advantages of pursuing a science PhD at a German university for international students?

There are several advantages, including high-quality education and research opportunities, access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, a diverse and international academic community, and potential career opportunities in Germany or other countries after graduation. Additionally, many universities in Germany offer affordable or even tuition-free education for international students.