Air pollutant concentration measurement technique?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spectrography for measuring air pollutants at low levels and the search for suitable equipment for this purpose. The use of laser diodes and UV spectrometers are mentioned as potential options.
nachus001
Hi all:

I'm working in a air pollutant level sensing system, to measure the common air pollutants and their level. I begun with this some months ago (In fact I've taken the others work's in my hands), and used electrochemical gas sensors for low ppm sensing (Up to 50ppm) and with 0.1ppm resolution. But the problem I found is that for the common air pollutants levels to be measured (as stated in the Title 40 CFR part 50, this is O3, CO, SO2, NO2 excluding particulates and lead) the tolerance of the sensor is very high (I calculated more or less a 40% @0.1ppm). Moreover, when the data points are integrated, in the integration period that the CFR states, the result is real nonsense!

So I'm investigated a bit more, and found that what I need to achieve this goal is spectrography, in order to retrieve the pollutant concentration in a given air sample at very low ppm, indeed ppb.

But, now, there are a great variety of spectrographic devices and techniques, and I really don't know what to use for this application.

For example, One of the characteristics of the system is that it must be small and rapidly deployable, even if it's lacking some precission (not too much of course, that's why I rejected the EC sensor approach) and as small as possible. So I looked in the web and went to the Horiba website:

http://www.horiba.com/us/en/scientific/products/oem-components-systems/ [Broken]

Great! it's full of OEM spectroscopy parts. But I don't know exactly what parts do I need to build such a system. I think that it's possible to go the OEM way, since I need to get raw data, to be transmitted to a server and then processed (the datalogger is ready done and working) . But don't know what kind of module I need because there are many kinds of them, for different purposes, and, apparently, there are different approaches for the measuring and detection of the said gasses. I thought I'd need some kind of absorption spectrography for gasses, which implies a light source, a chamber to take samples, a pump and valves. But it's no problem to construct this.

The questions are then, What do you suggest I should do? What is the kind of spectrography technique should I use for the said gasses? From your experience, what is the appropiate measuring setup? Do you know of alternative suppliers of OEM parts for this purpose?

Thanks In advance
Ignacio

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Small, and rapidly deployable... Not quite there yet, but I have friends who were / are working in the field of gas detection / measurement using laser diodes:
http://www.boreal-laser.com/docs/Laser%20Gas%20Detection.pdf

That was applications (look up John Tulip on, e.g. WebofScience or Google Scholar for more academic papers out of his group, and probably a survey paper or two). If you're looking for a primer, try:
http://www.boreal-laser.com/info/tech.htm

Looks like there's something (probably a Springer or Elsevier survey textbook) on Amazon when I Googled for "laser gas sensing"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dude:

I saw the Boreal Laser website, but the detectors are suited for gas leakages and are extremely directional. However, it's a valuable resource!

Thank you
Nachus

There is a spin off company within the university I work at who are approaching this with a portable UV spectrometer. It's probably outside of the realms of possibility for you but I thought it was an interesting idea.

1. What is the most common method used to measure air pollutant concentration?

The most common method used to measure air pollutant concentration is through the use of air quality monitoring stations. These stations use instruments such as gas analyzers, particulate matter monitors, and meteorological sensors to collect data on air pollutant levels.

2. How accurate are air pollutant concentration measurements?

The accuracy of air pollutant concentration measurements can vary depending on the specific measurement technique being used. However, most methods have a high level of accuracy, typically within a few percentage points. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain monitoring equipment to ensure accurate measurements.

3. Can air pollutant concentrations be measured in real-time?

Yes, there are several real-time measurement techniques available, such as continuous emissions monitoring systems (CEMS) and remote sensing instruments. These methods provide data on air pollutant concentrations in near real-time, allowing for immediate action to be taken if necessary.

4. Are there any limitations to air pollutant concentration measurement techniques?

While air pollutant concentration measurement techniques are generally accurate and reliable, they do have some limitations. For example, certain gases or particles may be difficult to measure, and extreme weather conditions can affect the accuracy of measurements. Additionally, older or poorly maintained equipment may produce less accurate results.

5. How is data from air pollutant concentration measurements used?

The data collected from air pollutant concentration measurements is used by scientists, government agencies, and industries to assess air quality, identify sources of pollution, and develop strategies to reduce or control air pollution. This data is also used in research studies to better understand the impact of air pollution on human health and the environment.